1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2010 World Cup Running Thread.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, May 19, 2010.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

England 2-1 Mexico at halftime. Mexico just scored on the stroke of halftime. England's second was from Crouch, who both was offside and had the ball roll in off his hand.

2. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Crouch's goal was a handball, a call that won't be made against England in the World Cup either. England's first and third goals were quite nice!

The thing about this game is that Mexico's speed is killing England's backline, something that gives me hope with the USA. Meanwhile, Mexico is getting beat by Crouch's size, something I think Onyewu would be able to handle for the most part.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Well, he does have a lovely touch for a big man, as they say.

And you'll understand if I refuse to feel guilty about handballs.

Can the USA cope with Walcott's speed?

And that would have been a red card in a World Cup game.

4. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Walcott's speed will be an issue, just as Donovan's speed, Dempsey's pace, Holden's pace, you see where I'm going here, will be an issue for England. I think it more depends on how the USA lines up the defense.

As for a "red card"... Which is? The yellow outside the box? That was a yellow at worst. If that is a red in the World Cup... Yikes.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Denied a clear goalscoring opportunity. Severity of the foul doesn't enter into it.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

It's an early candidate, but this has to be the clear winner for most ridiculous result of the World Cup run-up:

Portugal 0-0 Cape Verde Islands

7. wannabeu

wannabeu Member

I don't think that Portugal is that good of a team. I don't think they will get out of their group. It's Brazil and Ivory Coast.

Portugal just barely made it into the WC. They do not have a good defense and their offense is primarily C. Ronaldo, although that is a pretty good option. It will be a quick trip for Portugal.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

ESPN Announces Commentator Assignments for 2010 World Cup Coverage http://bit.ly/cy04ZP

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I need to find a feed with Andres Cantor.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

From the looks of that, I'm guessing none of the announcers will be on-site but in Bristol.

11. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

I'm with Inks here. Having seen what kind of havoc their fans wreak here in SoCal, Mexico can't crash, burn and slink home fast enough.

Obviously being an American fanboi, my Donovan jersey is all ready for June 12, but after the Americans exit somewhere in the second round or (Supreme Being willing) quarters, I'm joining Deskslave and the spirit of my grandmother in rooting for England.

In other words, I'm ready for that quarterfinal disappointment to hit me like a 2-by-4 between the eyes. So when that happens, I think it's Spain's cup to lose. It has too much talent from front to back.

I'm with whoever ripped on Argentina for Maradona's lack of a brain; he'll find a way to mess up a team with Messi, Tevez and Milito among others. Meanwhile, the Dutch have inherited Spain's title as the biggest choke artists in Europe, Italy's too old, France has too many holes (starting with Domenech) and Germany isn't deep enough this time out.

That leaves Brazil and Spain as probably the last two standing. There are worse finals to watch.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

They will be on-site.

ESPN, to the network's credit, is sending more people to SA than the BBC. SportsCenter will be anchored from SA for the duration of the WC.

Draft saved Draft deleted