1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2010 World Cup Running Thread.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, May 19, 2010.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Next home game for the Philadelphia Eagles.

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Probably second in its group and therefore in the second round. From there, it would depend on their opponent. If they finish second, they'll get the winner of Germany's group. There's not a team in that group they can't beat on their day. Most of the powerhouses are on the other side of the draw. The strongest on the USA's side of the draw are England, Argentina, Germany and France, all of which have probably fatal flaws.

Out of Holland, Brazil, Spain and Italy, a maximum of two will make the semifinals. There could be some epic, epic quarterfinals. (Holland-Brazil and Spain-Italy being the likely matchups.)

3. wannabeu

wannabeu Member

I'm rooting for the Dutch, but I don't think their defense is good enough to win the the cup.

I think the World Cup is as wide open as it has been in a long time. The European and South American teams don't have an advantage because the WC is not being played in their home soil. I think one African team will make it to the semis, and it will be the Ivory Coast.

Spain has a knack for underachieving in the big tournaments and they will have to prove that Euro '08 was not a lucky occurrence. Brazil is not the same Brazil team most people are used to seeing. They lack the offensive flair of Brazilian teams in the past.

England has too many injury concerns and drama surrounding the team. Ballack's injury really hurts Germany.

I think all the really good teams have flaws so I am excited to see a wide open World Cup.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Umm ... WHAT!?!

This is not acceptable. You can't root for rivals in the same qualifying zone.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

32 teams ... one Cup.

6. John

John Well-Known Member

I'm not sure who I'm rooting for. I know I'm supposed to root for the U.S., but I know so little about those guys compared to all the players I see regularly watching EPL and Champions League matches.

More than anything, I want to see Messi put on a show.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I was leaning toward Germany until Ballack got injured. That will hurt their chances.

Have hunch Italy will go out early, maybe even as early as the first round.

Do like Spain's chances, as well, of course, Brazil. I agree with deskslave that one African nation makes the semis and Ghana might be the best bet.

US should advance out of first round, not sure how much further.

Bold prediction: there will be at least one officiating call (or non-call) that sparks a major firestorm of protest.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

and this is different than other World Cups?

9. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

USA all the way. And I want England to crash and burn.

Other than that, I wouldn't mind seeing the Argentines hold the trophy. And Maradona do a line off it in front of everyone! Better that then those Jesusfreak Brazilians.

Inky, I have softened my stance on Mexico. If we play then of course I'll be out for blood, but if they take down a few Eurosnobs all is forgiven.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Grant Wahl is excellent and one of my favorite people in the world. Just wanted to get that out there.
    And, no, I'm not Grant.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I wouldn't piss on an MLS player if he was on fire but an event this big commands that you watch it.

After reading the Drogba story in SI I'd like to see Ivory Coast make a deep run.

And watching the wailing and gnashing of teeth from England is always enjoyable. It's like a whole nation full of Cubs fans. But drunker.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The U.S. just doesn't seem good enough to me to be making second-round plans too confidently. They *should* be there, but it's just too easy to see them slip up.

Draft saved Draft deleted