1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2010 Winter Olympics Vancouver

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

With all due respect to GB-Hack (and any other Brits around here), I hope all those miserable, snotty, cranky British journalists have gone home and never come back.

3. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I think that they cut Rush because they were worried that he would mock Michael J. Fox for not really looking all that sick during the closing ceremonies.

On another note, who besides the Canadians would have so proudly poked fun at themselves? Sexy Mounties, mermaid maple leaves, giant moose and beavers? What the puck?

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Come on, is there a band that's more tailor made for the Olympics than Triumph?

I'm thinking a 3 song medley of 'Lay It On the Line', 'I Can Survive' and 'Magic Power'.

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I know it's difficult for you to acknowledge music that Bruce doesn't tell you it's OK to listen to, but here's what happened:

Rush was approached, and had a non-disclosure agreement regarding the ceremonies. They apparently declined, as the rumor that they were in the opening was never confirmed either.

I will seek consolation in this:

http://nhl.fanhouse.com/2010/01/15/neil-peart-performs-hockey-night-in-canada-theme/

6. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Ok, so the guy who manages Rush, Sam Feldman, was part of putting together the acts, and they still didn't make the cut:

Headline Talent Producer: Samuel Leon Feldman

Through two different companies, Sam Feldman represents more than 175 musical artists such as Nelly Furtado, Rush, Joni Mitchell and Elvis Costello. Feldman is also a partner in The Characters Talent Agency, representing Canadian actors such as Molly Parker and Ryan Reynolds

http://www.vancouver2010.com/olympic-news/n/news/vanoc-adds-top-creative-talent-to-team-orchestrating-the-magic-of-the-opening--closing-and-nightly-victory-ceremonies-of-the-vancouver-2010-olympic-winter-games--volunteer-performers-still-needed_65658xU.html

The power of Jann Wenner knows no bounds.

7. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Neil Peart has an interesting piece on his website about this.

Link: http://www.neilpeart.net/news/index.html

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Gord should have been there. Nothing more Canadian than Lightfoot.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

The tragically Hip should have been there as well.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

From what I know of British journalists, they savage their own more than anyone else. They were probably just sharpening their knives in preparation for the gong show that will be the Summer Olympics in two years.

But, yeah.....bunch of fucking assholes. Especially that prick who writes for Pravda, of all publications.

Britain is the Toronto Maple Leafs of the world's nations. "Hey, pay attention to us! We were great and relevant once upon a time, many, many years ago!! Bow down and kiss our feet!!"

As JR said, though, much respect to GB Hack, who is a friend. This is not intended as a shot at him in particular, or at any other Brits who are here.

11. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Remember this?

So crassly American. Gene probably had his way with both of those ice skaters too.

12. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Was the song that Buble sang the Stompin Tom song Maple Leaf Forever? It sure sounded like a Buble'd version of it.

Speaking of which I have a feeling that Stompin Tom performing The Hockey Song would have brought the house down.

Nice to see that the whining Francophones got some Quebec bands that nobody outside of La Bell Province has heard of to perform.

Draft saved Draft deleted