1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2010 Rock & Roll HOF Nominees -- Potentially Righting Some Wrongs?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Captain_Kirk, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

DEEP PURPLE SUCKS!

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

THANK YOU. At least someone here gets it.

Along those lines, someone check on Flying Headbutt. I think he's so excited over this he went to see his doctor about that eight-hour erection.

I don't care how many records Kiss sells, how many tours they conduct, how much merchandise they've sold etc etc. They suck. And I say that as someone who thinks "Heavens on Fire" is one of the best songs of the '80s. If they make the HOF, Britney Spears is 15 years away from her own drug-fueled induction speech.

And if you think Gene wouldn't exclude Peter and Ace from the festivities, you're not giving the douchebag nearly enough credit.

RHCP should definitely be in, and LL Cool J should be in if only for the sheer awesomeness of this:

It gets absolutely epic around the three-minute mark, like the crowd is going to riot (in a thoroughly awesome way).

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Oh and...MOTHERFUCKER!!!! Denied again.

[​IMG]

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Now that's a damn funny post.

5. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I have to be reminded every year at this time that Yes isn't already in the HOF.

And yes, I do understand that Gene can be a douche of the highest level and may block Ace and Peter out. I hope that doesn't happen.

I understand that some people don't like KISS or their music. But, their career warrants HOF recognition.

Let's start first and foremost with the music. 10 platinum albums and 15 gold albums. Obviously, somebody likes their music. A lot of somebodys. Maybe their tunes are heard as rudimentary three chord rock by some, but songs like Strutter, Cold Gin, Deuce, Black Diamond, Plaster Caster, not to mention the hits like Dr. Love, Christine Sixteen, Detroit Rock City; well, they've got a groove, a kick, a bite that can measure up with anyone in the heavy metal genre.

Let's toss in the stage presence the make-up, the costumes---an original creation all their own, never before experienced in rock and roll. Don't give me the NY Dolls with a little rouge and eye blush--they aren't even close to what KISS unveiled.

Let's finish with the stage shows, which KISS took to an all together new level in rock and roll. What did you have before KISS: combinations of red, yellow and purple lights with amoeba-like characters floating on a screen behind the band for those under a weed or LSD induced buzz. KISS brought in pyrotechnics and spectacle and changed the way rock shows were viewed and presented forever.

And one post-script: their Q rating. Hey, maybe that's not a HOF definer, but you ask people from 8 year old kids to 80 year old ladies, and more will know who KISS is than perhaps just a handful of rock and roll groups: Beatles, Stones, Elvis, the recently deceased MJ. The list isn't much longer.

They belong.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Hey, ZZ Top may have been shite after Eliminator, but the stuff they released up until then was definitely not the same old throwaway blooze boogie shit that George Thorogood churns out every year. Stuff like Deguello stands up against the best American rock albums of the 70s.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

DO NOT BELITTLE ROUGH BOY AND SLEEPING BAG!!!!!

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I saw the Red Hot Chili Peppers at the Golden Bear in Huntington Beach, California a few weeks after their debut album came out. Their guitarist, the late Hillel Slovak, was barefoot on the tiny little stage in the corner of the bar, and was complaining that it felt like he was standing in someone's pee.

I feel kinda old seeing that they're now eligible for the Rock Hall of Fame.

While I'm here, I'll go KISS, RHCP, Genesis, ABBA, and the Stooges (though LL Cool J probably gets in instead of the Stooges, and I don't quite get his nomination).

Oh, and Rush still has no business in the hall.

9. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Yet he's just put out a very solid album, Man Overboard.

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Why?

Because YOU don't like their music? Because your friends don't? Hey, no one's wife does, so that doesn't count.

I think KISS is bombast without individual talent, and their music is pretty much throwaway. But I acknowledge that they have a massive, longterm following that merits inclusion. Especially since Blood Sugar Sex Magik, I've wondered what all the fuss was about regarding the Chili Peppers. But they clearly have longevity and popularity on their side.

On Yes, I alternate between being bored out of my wits and being impressed by their ability to craft long songs. For Genesis, I feel the same way about their 1970s output, and think their 1980s stuff is pretty damn poppy (though enjoyable). But they also merit inclusion.

Again: ZZ Top, AC/DC and The Pretenders are in. I don't dislike any of them, and I have no problem with their inclusion (and yes, Huggy, ZZ Top, like AC/DC, put out some really great music in the 1970s). But if they're setting the bar, then each of the bands I mentioned clearly rises to meet it.

It's not so much about a Rush not being in, as it is about looking at who is already in, and thinking, "How are they truly that much better?"

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yes. Because I say so.

Look, we do this annually, but I find Rush to be remarkably technically proficient. I also find them soulless, boring and writers of some of the most painful lyrics ever - twaddle trying to pass as profound.

A whole lot of people on this site disagree. The critics almost universally line up on my side along with the keepers of the hall, so my side wins. Sorry.

On the whole, honestly, I'm not impressed with this year's group. I loved the Chili Peppers in the early years, but lost interest after Mother's Milk. KISS is a cartoon, but kind of a landmark cartoon, arguably deserving for reasons outside of the music because the music was never great. Genesis probably deserves to be in, but I think some of the later schlock helps you forget that they were pretty good at one time. ABBA is ABBA. The Stooges are beloved by people who want to pretend they were better than they were, and because Iggy's pretty cool. LL Cool J is a rapper who doesn't scare middle aged white people, so he'll get a shot long before far more significant rap artists will.

Still, I'm not a big supporter of the "If this shit's in, you gotta put this in" school of thought. There may be bands worse than Rush in the hall (though I doubt it). That doesn't mean Rush belongs, any more than Phil Rizzuto's presence in Cooperstown means we have to open baseball's hall to anyone slightly above average.

12. Deep Purple, Thin Lizzy, Rush, KISS, Ted Nugent, Alice Cooper, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Motorhead would make one kick-ass barricade at the doors of the Hall, wearing NO DONNA SUMMER ALLOWED t-shirts.
    There's no fucking way in holy Hell that Donna Summer gets in before the almighty Maiden or Lemmy. NOOOOO

Draft saved Draft deleted