1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2010 NHL off-season and draft thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Beef03, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

Price and Montreal are to blame for that. When Price got called up to the big club for good he got an apartment by himself instead of staying with a veteran.

Montreal should of done what the Penguins did with Crosby. Crosby stayed with Lemieux for most of his career, I think that really helped him stay away from the party scene. If Price stayed with(let's say Koivu) then I think he wouldn't be the partyer he is today.

Just my two cents on the issue.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I agree with you totally.

I'm a huge Price fan but boy, if he doesn't get his act together, he may be just another washed up goalie at 26 or 27

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Should of (instead of should have)?

there (instead of their)? (In your previous post)

Those are basic mistakes a journalist/reporter should never make, even on a message board.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Wel dun

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Interesting conversation about the Halak trade on Prime Time Sports on the Fan590 tonight

Montreal traded him because they drafted Price fifth overall. Dumping him would have put into question their hockey smarts.

Tend to agree. One of the things I learned from FoF's book "Future Greats and Heartbreaks" is that you never want to admit you made a mistake on a high draft pick. Choosing a goalie fifth overall is a huge commitment and you sure as hell don't want to look foolish.

As one of the commentators (Bruce Arthur from the National Post, I believe) said, "In the Montreal market, now Price has to be great. Not just good. Great"

Pretty much. He'll be on a short leash with the media and the rabid Habs fans

6. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

They have been pretty quiet about their goaltending.

Part of the problem is with Khabibulin's back, if they want to deal him he's going to have to some how prove he is healthy and able to stand up to the rigours of an NHL schedule. Although it should be said that this is the first time the back has really kept him out, in the past I believe it was the groin he struggled with, but that was not a problem.

As far as JDD (Hey, I'm kind of lazy right now) and Dubnyk, neither is really ready for prime time, but both took huge strides last year.

When they picked up Khabibulin last year they figured they would be in their normal chasing down a final playoff spot and an attempt at another playoff run -- nobody saw the 517 man games lost to injury coming, and in a shallow organization depth wise that was a killer, especially when you lose your top player (Hemsky), your top goalie (Khabibulin), your No. 2 centre (Comrie), your No. 2 defenceman (Souray) and your No. 3 Defenceman (Smid) for large chunks of the season, then throw in all the other injuries to checkers and depth players and often they were icing a team better suited for the AHL last year.

JDD and Dubnyk had their problems early, they averaged a weak goal a game and you could shake their confidence pretty quick, but they seemingly figured things out down the stretch and were a lot more reliable, even if their defence consisted players like Dean Arsene.
    I think they are a good fit for where this franchise is right now, in complete rebuild mode. Although both are RFAs, if I had my druthers I would let them continue to push each other for playing time and the top spot and get what you can for Khabibulin. Although after the disaster of their three headed goaltending monster (Markkannen, Conklin, Morrison) through out the 2005-06 season -- one reason they struggled through the season and had to push for the eighth spot before running to the NHL Final with Roloson -- I don't see that happening, as they would almost assuredly have to carry Khabibulin into the regular season to prove he can still play. But maybe they can dump him on Long Island if as EF said earlier they will be looking to add salary to meet the salary floor.

I will say this though, if they end up parting ways with one of the young guys and sticking with Khabibulin, I was impressed with what I saw of his professionalism in his time with the club last year -- that is until his DUI in Phoenix over the Olympic break -- and that could mean he could be a good mentor for either JDD or Dubnyk moving forward.

7. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

I'm not a reporter, I'm a fan of the game. Go correct someone else you grammar nazi...no offense.

8. derwood

derwood Active Member

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/nhl/mapleleafs/article/825947--cox-maple-leafs-have-big-moves-in-mind

9. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Your post reminds me of Jimmy Waite. No. 8 overall? Could be wrong. If memory serves, Keenan pretty much wrote him off, and that was that.

10. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Chicago could afford to swing and miss on Waite, given the Hawks had Hasek and Belfour in the system at the same time.

Waite was the goaltender of the future, but Hasek came on the scene and passed him up ... and we got to see Waite in the IHL a lot. The Blackhawks' minor-league team in 1991 had an incredible goaltending trio: Waite, Hasek and 1992 Olympic hero Ray LeBlanc ... and they had Belfour with the big club.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Beef,

If you were Tambellini, any way you entertain offers to trade the top pick?

12. derwood

derwood Active Member

Hamhuis to Flyers for Parent. Devils reacquire Arnott.

Draft saved Draft deleted