1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2010 NFL Combine

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JennaLaine, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

One of my favorite events to cover.

Most of my best stories about covering the NFL came while sitting at a restaurant after a busy day of writing and having a scout, agent or assistant coach, who has had way too much to drink come over to a table with a bunch of writers and talk way too much about stuff they should not be talking about.

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Advice for those at the combine: if you want some slightly funkier nightlife than what the immediate area has to offer (not hard to get funkier than what the immediate area has to offer), it's a short trip to Mass. Ave (northeast downtown, behind the Indianapolis Star) and Fountain Square (neighborhood just southeast of downtown).

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Nothing says funky like Indianapolis.

4. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

As oppossed to College deadheads obsessing over Signing day.

5. vicd

vicd Active Member

I believe this is what led to the Jon Gruden-Rich McKay feud.

6. Mizzougrad96

That was the owner's meetings. Gruden got loaded and started ripping the shit out of McKay in front of all of the beat writers.

7. vicd

vicd Active Member

That's right. Ha.

8. Mizzougrad96

Several years ago I was out with about 10 other writers at St. Elmo's and the OC of a team with one of the top picks in the draft comes over and he was completely loaded.

"So you guys looking at Player X or do you think you'll have trade up to get him?"

"I can tell you with complete certainty that we have no interest in the guy."

"Why, is he injured? Did he get in trouble?"

"No, the guy is gay and our owner won't let us draft him."

The player is now one of the best players in the NFL.

The same coach then sat there for two hours and just talked shit for about two hours stuff that if he was reminded of the next day probably would have wanted to go hide. We just kept feeding him drinks the whole time. I know at least one writer recorded the ordeal.

The guy became a HC a few years later.

9. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Love that shrimp cocktail.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

It's Safe for Work, I was hoping for a NSFW site.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Nah, that's jennajameson.com

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Mrs. Playthrough and I will be at St. Elmo Saturday. Was a little surprised to get a reservation when I called last night.

I would try to stalk out someone from my Bengals, but I don't think Mike Brown picks up St. Elmo tabs. Maybe they'll be at the South Street White Castle.

Draft saved Draft deleted