1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2010 MLB Rookie of the Year Nominees

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HeinekenMan, Mar 27, 2010.

1. EagleMorph

EagleMorph Member

Pedro Alvarez. He'll be up in early June like Strasburg and he'll actually make people want to watch the Pirates.

2. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I agree that Pedro will be up in June, but there's a decent chance he'll struggle at first, especially against lefties.

I expect some long homers -- and a ton of strikeouts -- for at least a few months.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Who are you talking about? Jackson and Matusz are both going to open the season in the majors.

4. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

If the Indians give Michael Brantley the starting job in left field from day one, he'll have a shot at it. He's not going to put up the power numbers other candidates might, but he's a guy who can hit .290, steal a good amount of bases, has a fantastic eye and good on-base percentage on his minor league resume and plays a fantastic outfield. He's one of those rookies who could sneak up on everybody at just 22 years old. He's under the 130 AB limit and I don't think he was up for 45 days last year, so I'm assuming he's eligible for the ROY award this year.

Really, he could be the biggest acquisition from the CC Sabathia trade, a bigger piece than Matt LaPorta ever turns out to be.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Lots of great young talent, both awards should be wide open.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Eligible per career appearance rules, yes, but seventh-inning guys don't win ROY awards.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Ahhh, you beat me to it.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Ian Desmond.

9. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

My fanboi pick is Jon Niese

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I just don't see Strasburg overcoming a) a late call-up; b) pitching for a not-so-good ballclub that will deflate some of his numbers, and c) his main competition coming from an everyday player the caliber if Heyward.

AL is wide open but I'll go with Matusz over Jackson.

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I don't know about a 20-year-old left-handed power hitter playing half his games in that park, no matter how polished he already looks.

12. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Chris Johnson is breaking camp with the Astros thanks to Berkman's knee troubles. I've spoken with Johnson in the past, and he seems like a great guy. He can hit, too. But Houston's attempt to convert him into a third baseman hasn't gone very well.

Draft saved Draft deleted