1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2010 Baseball Running Thread, Part 1: Oh.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Apr 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Considering it started at 8:07, that's about 3 1/2 hours. Official time of game was 3:48, not that out of line for a 9-7 game.

But because it was Yankees-Red Sox bitching is mandatory for some people.

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Thought it had started at 7pm, like most normal baseball games.

Forgot that Bud and ESPN don't like letting the sport grow by letting the kids watch.

3. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

My favorite Joe Morgan moment happend after Posada's homer, which banged off the Pesky Pole.

Jon Miller calls it the Pesky Pole, then explains why it's dubbed the Pesky pole. Then this exchange took place:

Morgan: "Yeah, it's the Pesky Pole."
    Miller: "I know. It's why I called it that."

I'd also like to point out that the KC's lineup tomorrow features Rick Ankiel batting cleanup, and a bottom half consisting of Willie Bloomquist, Yuniesky Betancourt, Jason Kendall and Chris Getz.

I can feel the rest of the AL Central quaking in fear. Or maybe that's laughter.

Fuck it. Bring on 2010.

4. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I don't expect much from Alderson unless he rediscovers his velocity and the bite on his breaker ... his fastball was routinely in the mid-to-high 80s most of last year. Brad Lincoln, who was taken right after Evan Longoria in the '06 draft, is a better prospect and closer to the majors.

Alvarez should be up in June and Tabata could be a good player ... well, if he develops some power.

The problem with the Pirates isn't that they don't have talent in the minors, it's that the best kids -- Starling Marte, Chase D'Arnaud, Zach Von Rosenburg, etc. -- are a ways away. And that, for all their trades and reinvestment in the farm, the system still lacks impact talent.

While Huntington certainly deserves some flak for the Bay and the McLouth deals, it's hard to put into words how much damage Littlefield/Ed Creech did to the organization.

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I just love that the baseball thread is barely three pages into its first incarnation, and we've already had a bunch of posts discussing the Pirates, and one lamenting the Royals.

AKA "Teams that don't matter."

6. Trey Beamon

Chan Ho Park fucking sucks.

(That better? :D)

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

The Royals matter when Greinke pitches.
    The Pirates haven't mattered in about 40 years but only because you can't expect a small market team to compete on the uneven playing field where the Yankees buy a World Series title every year[/oop]

8. Trey Beamon

But will the Mets be any better?

That rotation, after Santana, is scary ... and not in a good way. And I don't think putting Jenrry Mejia in the big league pen is the best thing for his development.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Quoted in case anybody forgot for a second what cranky old pain in the ass spnited is. :)

Seriously, you do a bad enough job with your own side of this debate. No wonder you can't keep mine straight.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

You're better than that. Even Idiot Selig
    knows these two franchises are wholly out of line in employing the Fisk Figeting
    Style as a career model.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The fact that 3:48 isn't considered that out of line is a problem. Baseball's got to find a way to tighten that up.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

My "favorite" Morgan moment, on starting the season with a home run in your first at-bat.

"It's definitely better than a bad start, like going 0-for-10."

Thanks, Joe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.