1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2010 Baseball Running Thread, Part 1: Oh.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Apr 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

spn, that will be me, but I'll be drinking much shittier beer.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamondbacks/articles/2010/04/03/20100403arizona-diamondbacks-ken-kendrick.html

The Diamondbacks still owe $40M deferred money to Curt Schilling, Randy Johnson, Luis Gonzalez and Bernard f-ing Gilkey, among others. (Although I think I'd rather still be paying Bernard Gilkey in 2010 than Alex Cora.)

Cry your eyes out some more for those poor, persecuted, small-market teams. Why, they are victims.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

NL East: Phillies
    NL Central: Cardinals
    NL West: Dodgers
    NL Wild Card: Rockies

AL East: Red Sox
    AL Central: Tigers
    AL West: Mariners
    AL Wild Card: Yankees

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Of course, some of the overspending that led to their financial troubles helped them win a World Series.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

They were pretty damn lucky to win that Series, even with their orgy of spending.

The point is they're still paying at least four retired players long after they blew town. That's bad planning.

You are being resolutely ignorant if you don't acknowledge that.

And as far as I am concerned anyway, any title in that era is basically a piece of space junk in baseball history, far disconnected from the rest because of the clouds that hung over the game. So fuck their World Series.

It's important to mark a distinction between the 'small-market' teams that pissed wads of cash down the toilet and cripple themselves in the long-term (even with as good a farm system as Arizona has had), and still cry wolf, and the teams that are truly screwed by their logistics.

5. outofplace

No argument with your overall point. The Diamondbacks definitely dug their own hole. Revenue is only a factor in the success or failure of major-league franchises. It is not the only factor.

6. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Member

It's a high-risk maneuver. The Rockies recently did something similar with Todd Helton, lowering the present-day value of his deal to create payroll flexibility for the next few years. Doing it periodically, and with good reason, seems OK. But doing it for half your roster? Foolish.

Though, if I'm a DBacks fan, I'm OK with it. That team won a title.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Wallace Matthews lives!

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The game hasn't even started yet and I'm already sick of hearing about the fucking Yankees and the fucking Red Sox.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

The D-Backs made a calculated risk that spending big early could (a) make them an early success and (b) build a fan base that would carry them through the lean years that would follow, when they paid off those contracts. By and large it paid off.

The Rays came into the league the same year. They chose to build slowly and cheaply. Both teams have a lot of young talent now. Which set of fans do you think enjoyed the past decade more?

Not all of the D-Backs' moves worked out, and some of them were really expensive. But I don't think you'll find many people in Arizona or within the organization who regret the contracts for Johnson, Schilling and Gonzo.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Where is the effin game. I don't care to see NBA highlights.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Boom, there is an endless pregame thing going on here. They introduced the Red Sox videotape guy, and, best of all, the entire Dice-K support staff of translators.

12. outofplace

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Cust-angry-after-demotion-Chavez-bewildered-by-?urn=mlb,231977

Jack Cust ripping the Athletics on the way out the door, though he still might take a demotion so he can get paid.

On a side note, the writer uses "deeps" for home runs in this story. WTF?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.