1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2010/2011 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Yellfest

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Re: 2010 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Yellfest

Yes.

Edit: Found a site that looks interesting. Lists future eligibles and lots of other RRHOF stuff:

http://www.futurerocklegends.com/future_eligibles.php

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

The "album rock" and "progressive" formats haven't been given time of day, and they've been every bit as important - arguably moreso - for advancing the genre and increasing its credibility. Vapid P&P lyrics didn't do much of anything to help, did they?

Simply put, Genesis got in because of its last three albums. I'll bet no one gave its '70s catalog time of day. It probably got in because of the album sales of "Genesis" (the Mama album), "Invisible Touch" and "We Can't Dance" instead of "Selling England By The Pound," "A Trick of the Tail," "Foxtrot" and "Duke."

Yeah ... while we would like to think the Veterans Committee will have plenty of quality choices for a number of years, any bets that anyone who gets more control of the process after Wenner gets too long in the tooth will be a mental clone?

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I can't decide whether to go to next year's induction, which will feature Cinderella, Poison and Tesla or the following year which will have Faster Pussycat and Rick Astley. :D

Seriously, GNR better get in on the first ballot next year and the Pixies better get in on the first ballot in 2012.

NWA and Public Enemy could go in during the same year (2012). That would be a fun show.

4. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Next year, the Lemonheads and Throwing Muses get my vote (if they make the ballot).
    '12 is a killer class: Pixies. Rollins. Jane's. PE. Sugarcubes (though more likely Bjork down the road).
    '13: Nirvana. Phish. The Mozzfather.
    '14: Green Day and NIN (great ballot for divas who won't make the cut, however: Maria McKee, Lush and Texas).
    '15: Moby. Smashing Pumpkins, Hole (if Gale Sayers could get in)...Celine Dion need not apply.
    '16: Pearl Jam's the only first-ballot pick (let's at least help Catherine Wheel get the 5 percent needed to make it onto next year's list).
    '17: Strong class. Beck. Radiohead. Dixie Chicks (on attitude alone).
    '18: DMB's the only cinch (though wouldn't you like to spark up with Snoop and Bjork?).
    After that...
    '20: Foo Fighters (and maybe Wilco, for the hardcores).
    '23: Give you Coldplay, but back off on Britney.
    '24: White Stripes and The Manwhore Formerly Known as John Mayer.
    '26: Alicia Keys for sure, but keep an eye on many others...
    '27: Intriguing...if Timberlake drops a couple more token CDs, maybe his acting chops pull him through.
    '28: Keep an eye on M.I.A., and if Wino can pull herself together, the talent is there.
    '29: Youngest of the sure things: Arcade Fire and Kanye West.

5. Mizzougrad96

I think Bon Jovi getting in would give KISS hope. I don't know the numbers off the top of my head, but I'll bet Bon Jovi had a lot more hits and sold a lot more albums than KISS. Both should be in though.

6. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

No Rush = no legitimacy

or in SJ terms:
    Rush or GTFO

7. Mizzougrad96

Rush has sold the third most albums/tapes/CDs/whatever of any band all-time behind only the Beatles and Stones. They've toured consistently for 36 years. If you want to call them the Don Sutton of the R&R Hall of Fame, that's fine, but they deserve to be in.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Junkie makes a good point about Ace Frehley. Before Eddie Van Halen came around there wasn't a kid who picked up an axe in the 70s who didn't want to be Ace Frehley.

9. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Ace is a plumber:

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Is it possible to like a band, respect their music, admire their musicianship and still agree that the band doesn't belong in the Hall of Fame?

I was a big fan of Pepper Johnson. I don't think he belongs in the Hall of Fame.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yeah.... there is absolutely no way on earth that is the case.

Update: not even in the top 140.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_music_artists

12. Mizzougrad96

You're right, I misread it. It's third most consecutive gold albums.

My bad. I apologize for the error.

Draft saved Draft deleted