1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2010-2011 NBA Season

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Oct 25, 2010.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Didn't see this elsewhere, but my apologies if it is.

Season starts tomorrow night, and I'd like to be the first to predict the Heat will not make it out of the East.

I think the Lakers win it all again, Durant is named MVP, and Carmelo goes to New York before the trading deadline. Also, it pains me to say, Evan Turner will struggle. John Wall will not.

Thoughts?

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

What makes you think Turner will struggle? I know he didn't score a ton in the preseason, but hell, he outrebounded Elton Brand on that team.

3. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

I saw Turner play one preseason game and thought he looked good. I was surprised that three of the four experts for ESPN picked him to be a bust in the Mag preview. (which was horrific with the cartoon bullshit).

4. Journo13

Journo13 Member

I know about the comics. I can't remember the exacts, though, because I tossed it as soon as I saw them.

5. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

As a Sonics/Thunder fan, I hope Durant wins the MVP, and I hope the Thunder win a playoff series, but I don't expect either to happen. He's too much the chic pick this season, and I think the Thunder are still a year away from challenging in the West.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

How the hell can you be a Thunder fan if you were a Sonic fan?

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Pumped for this season. Lakers-Heat in the Finals. Lakers winning it all. LeBron could put up ridiculous numbers, but I'm still way more interested in Durant. Love watching that kid play.

John Wall is legit. And I've heard nothing but terrible things about Turner. I'm also interested to see Blake Griffin. Seems to be tearing it up in the preseason.

Are Turkish basketball games broadcast in the States?

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Predictions for the season?

Dudes will get way more excited about results in December and January than they should.

9. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Joey...have you ever watched a Turkish basketball league game?

I definitely think the Thunder will be tough - going into the last weeks of last season they were battling for a 2 seed, but ended up eighth - but I think it's a bit much to expect them to be the No. 1 seed and Western Conference champs, as some have predicted. I can't think of many teams that have gone from not winning a playoff series to conference champs in one year. Actually, the Orlando Magic did in 1995 after getting swept in first round year before. So I guess it's possible. Still think the Lakers would have too much.

No idea what to expect in the East, except I think ESPN will be able to retire their countdown to 72 wins meter for the Heat fairly early in the year. They could win 65, but 70? Think of all the great teams in league history. All those Celtic teams, the 76ers of 1983, all the Laker teams, even all the Bulls teams. And one team won 70. But every year some team starts 16-2 or something and the talk of 70 begins.

And I can still see the damn Celtics being very tough once the playoffs roll around, provided half the team hasn't fossilized.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  10. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

If Bogut is completely healthy, I like the Bucks over the Bulls in the Central.

Aside from Miami, who else is a title contender in the East? Isn't Boston's and Orlando's (to a lesser extent) windows closing?

In the West, I think OKC is due to take a step back, and I don't think anyone is touching the Lakers.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The Suns enter the season with a point guard, a center and 13 small forwards. I'm curious to how it will work.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Barring injury, no one is going to beat Miami in the East. No way, no how. Upsets of that caliber just don't happen in this league. It's a talent league.

Draft saved Draft deleted