1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2009 Spring Storm Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dargan, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

And others weren't so lucky, having a portion of their aparment flood.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Oh shit. Hope no electronics got ruined.

Better an apartment than a house you own.

3. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

We had action here in Central Kentucky Friday...two were killed when an EF2 touched down in a tiny-ass town. About 150 homes damaged. The two that were killed were in a mobile home with one other adult and three kids, all of whom have been hospitalized.

The worst part of this is the fact that Kentucky has done a piss-poor job of preparing anyone in this state for what to do when there's a disaster. HORRIBLE JOB. We were in a tornado warning and I had no power and NO WAY of knowing what the fuck was going on, because none of the radio stations do any kind of weather broadcasting. They don't have spotters, they don't have radar going in the station, they don't even tell you if there are warnings going around.

And they wonder why people are dying? The emergency management people should be fired in this state. At least they got the shelters up and going that night for the people displaced. When the ice storm hit in late January, it was almost two days before they decided to open up shelters for those of us who had no power.

4. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Hey, man. Don't you know that local bodies cost money?

5. KG

KG Active Member

The stations here sometimes give a warning after a song is over, but that's about it. I've been in the car and saw the tornado with my own eyes and never heard a warning on the radio.

6. Football_Bat

If you have TV, you'll be treated to breathless wall-to-wall coverage. If you're in your car and not in a metro area, you're screwed. Thank Tebow for my BlackBerry.

7. KG

KG Active Member

But I'm in the metro Atlanta area. I think I'll see if I can sign up for something to send me a text or something.

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Tornado warning here, and torrential rain. Looks absolutely bleak outside.

9. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Expecting big storms shortly. NWS says it could twist. Some tornado warnings to the west.

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

CC says the rainwater is flowing like a river outside our back door. Thankfully into the parking lot, not the appartment.

11. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Yeah, I was sitting outside with my Blackberry hitting refresh every five seconds. It apparently has never occurred to them, though, what people without BB would do if they have no power. TVs don't run without juice.

People living because they're informed >>>>>>>>>>>>> money

12. Football_Bat

LET'S TWIST AGAIN!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted