1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2009 Running Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KYSportsWriter, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

If *anyone* really believes that Bret Hart will be relegated to ECW ... that is just horse-hockey.

I see Raw GM, effective immediately. The foil to DX, while staying face.

rb

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I think similar to his last run in the WWE, Hart could be a face in certain towns and a heel in others, with DX playing the counterpart. For example, any Canadian venue would be pro-Hart and anti-DX, along with some of the "smarter" places like Philly and MSG. DX would probably get support more in the South, and among casual fans.

3. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

RIP Dr. Death. He was one of my favorites of all time. He'll be missed.

4. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I think they still see value in the guest GM concept. They usually get a Monday night/Tuesday morning mention on ESPN or E! or somewhere else, depending on the host, and it gets their name in the mainstream. It might not do much to move ratings, but it helps make the brand seem more approachable to the general public, which it hasn't been since Austin and Rock's primes.

Hart has wanted to do something with the Hart Dynasty for some time, but a feud against DX for Wrestlemania probably isn't happening if HBK is doing interviews for an Undertaker rematch. Bret-Vince seems to be the direction they're heading, but I don't know how good it'll be, with Bret not having wrestled in damn near a decade and McMahon being 60.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Bret vs. Vince couldn't be any worse than seeing Piper and Snuka hobble around last year. As long as it's on the undercard, maybe topping the first hour of Wrestlemania, it's fairly harmless.

The idea of that match does bring up another thought, though. Is WM becoming almost as "themed" as all the other PPVs? They seem to be settling into a predictable set of matches:
    • MITB
    • A shitty Divas free-for-all
    • A 30-second ECW championship match
    • A "legends" match
    • Something with a celebrity
    • A triple threat for one of the belts
    • The main event for the other belt
    • Either a non-title Undertaker match or a miscellaneous feud
    Now, it's not necessarily a bad thing if executed well. MITB is a great concept and entertaining as hell. The title matches are typically OK. Taker and HBK, wherever they are on the card, always put on a good show. It just seems sometimes like they're filling in names on a lineup card.

6. Grew up in Houston when Dr. Death and Ted DiBiase Sr. ruled ass as a tag team in the mid-1980s, but he was at his best as Terry Gordy's tag partner a few years later. Pound for pound, they were one of the best -- and certainly most physical -- tag teams of all time.

7. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

On A&E The Unreal Story of Professional Wrestling, followed by Andre biography at 10 pm ET.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The Unreal Story is interesting, but full of holes (such as there is no mention of Bruno Sammartino).

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/75296/

10. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Yeah yeah yeah, there's a rule about digging up old threads but I think I have to for this:

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted