1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2009 running CFL thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Beef03, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

Going to McQuay on that play made sense for a couple of reasons. First, he was the team's top running back. Second, he had carried the ball four yards to the seven-yard line on the previous down.

Assuming McQuay had simply fallen on top of the ball on that play, it would have been third and 10 at the 11-yard line. Odds are the field goal unit would have gone in and it probably would have been a 14-14 game. After that, who knows what might have happened?

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Why doesn't the CFL have more teams? I know Ottawa is dead and gone, but what's the reason Quebec City, Halifax, Kitchener/Waterloo (crossthread!) aren't represented?

How 'bout some love for Thunder Bay? It could be the CFL's Green Bay.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I think I'm going to try to follow the Roughriders this season. First time living close to a CFL team.

4. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Long time debate, Bubs. Professional sports don't fly in Halifax. Elsewhere, it's probably a facility/money thing.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

There is a semi-pro league in Ontario called the Northern Football Conference. It includes the Sarnia Imperials, named for an Ontario pro club that played in three Grey Cups in the 1930s, winning two and losing another one by the score of 4-3, believe it or not.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

You know what the CFL could do? They could go to Baltimore, or Sacramento, or Shreveport.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

Hey, Baltimore worked for the CFL.

And the CFL worked for Baltimore too. They loved their CFL Colts Stallions.

8. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

The winner of that league plays the winner of the Alberta Football League every year for a national championship. Actually it's not bad football to watch, usually a few former CFLers kicking arond, and most have at least played Junior football or college.

9. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Get tickets in advance if you can.

My biggest pet peeve in the CFL is the Als bragging about their sellout streak despite playing in just a 22,000 seat stadium. Whoopity do. Edmonton usually averages high 30s low 40s, Calgary mid-30s.

AS far as why there aren't more CFL teams the biggest problem is proper facilities. The Universities that have football programs usually do not have stadiums bigger than 10,000 and even then that is a stretch. Also, until the past five years or so, the League had trouble surviving as it is let alone being in a position where it was healthy enough to grow. That being said if the CFL does expand again, the first place they should go -- if they can get a facility -- is Quebec City. Although it appears they are going to give Ottawa another shot with a renovated/rebuilt stadium. I am assuming whenever that happens that Winnipeg will be bumped back into the Western Conference.

10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Wish I could see the games anywhere here in the Midwest U.S., but, for now, I can survive on seeing the Grey Cup on Versus (like last fall) and heading to cfl.ca.

Although, if SASK makes a run like in 2007, I'll find a way to get dialed in...

11. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

One of the teams from the Ontario league were involved in a buys crash in Indiana this afternoon. 11 were hurt and only the driver of the SUV that hit the bus died -- the SUV blew a tire and swerved into the bus.

http://tsn.ca/other_sports/story/?id=282518

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Ottawa will be back.

Quebec City, given the love for football in La Belle Province, would probably be a huge hit, but being Canada, the CFL could not put another team in Quebec without first considering the Maritimes.

Halifax or maybe Moncton but as others have pointed out, it's a question of a facility

The only way it would work is if a new stadium were publicly financed. Something along the lines of BMO field in Toronto--something that seats 25,000 or so.

Draft saved Draft deleted