1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2009 NHL off-season trades, rumours, draft thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by AMacIsaac, May 12, 2009.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Unless Tallon knew this was the game plan heading in. They did the same with Savard who came back and took a scouting or advisors job two weeks after getting the boot. I think they are trying to change a culture where in the past they had alienated many of the past Blackhawks, but now are trying to keep everyone together and on side. It's like with the Oilers, instead of Kevin Lowe leaving the team he got promoted when they brought Tambellini in.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I think Tallon got a raw deal. He has been a major part of rebuilding that franchise in recent years and deserved better.

Nothing against Stan Bowman --- gee, it would be nice to have a father who was famous in ANY business.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

and the circus in Tampa continues

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=284672

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If the report that Tallon and McDonough got into a shouting match before his firing was announced is true, my guess is he didn't know this was the deal.

5. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Tallon's just getting that title (the same one Scotty Bowman has, by the way) because Rocky Wirtz is being a nice guy. Really, it's just a way to pay off the last year of his contract. Tallon will consult on the golf course.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The credit Tallon gets only goes so far. There were a couple fantastic drafts before he got in there, and then he got some gimme picks like Toews and Kane to round it out. He got a few steals in trades (Sharp, Havlat) and threw way, way too much money at a few FAs.

7. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

Believe Stan Bowman was originally hired as a "capologist", to make sure the Hawks managed under the cap after the lockout. He's named after the Cup, I believe.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

Is he at all a capable executive who would deserve to be a GM if his name were Stan Smith? That's what I want to know.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Heck, one column I saw pointed out the Blackhawks saying this about Bowman's former position: "The day-to-day administration of the Blackhawks' hockey operations department with his primary responsibilities including all CBA-related matters such as contract negotiations, free agency, etc."

In other words, doesn't that sound like the guy who was supposed to tell the GM when and how to get the contracts out on time? Why wouldn't he be held for the recent RFA snafu?

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Excellent point.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, we won't know until it's too late to do anything about it. Nothing to do but hope for the best for Blackhawks fans.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

2010 Winter Classic to be played at Fenway Park in Boston on Jan. 1 between the Flyers and Bruins.

Can't argue with that, although my first and second choices would have been Montreal and the Rangers. I suspect, however, that both declined in hopes of staging their own outdoor games in the coming years. Which would make perfect sense as well.

Both the Flyers and Bruins figure to be at least decent next season and Fenway Park has tradition much like Wrigley Field does. And the weather figures to be cold enough.

Draft saved Draft deleted