1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2009 NHL off-season trades, rumours, draft thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by AMacIsaac, May 12, 2009.

1. RecentAZgrad

RecentAZgrad Active Member

Good question. I'm thinking he's hoping for Tavares. http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/629701

Here's another question for you guys: Who would you take No. 1?

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Unless Burke's playing games and really wants Duchene.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I think that is hard for anybody to truly answer. Very few people have seen enough of Hedman to have a real good read on him. I just hope that teams don't draft for position it is the stupidest thing teams can do. This is not the NFL where players are going to come in a make huge contributions right away. If you have 2 players rated extremely close than maybe you would draft by position.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'd take Duchene over Tavares.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Sorry if you took it that way. You inspired a topic and I didn't want to clutter the playoff thread with it. No calling out intended.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Fuck the Spits! :)

7. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Looks like Mike Modano will be back for another year. One of the last of the North Stars ...

(is this a d_b? I've been out of town for the past few days.)

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/hockey/stars/stories/051209dnspostarslede.31ad8d1.html

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

"What, some people don't go to the Memorial Cup every year?" [/ryanhuska] :D In all seriousness, Huska is a great guy and I interviewed him about this in '05 when the tournament was in London. He was looking then for his fifth ring (he has three as a player and one so far as a coach) and it'd be nice to see him get it at some point. As I said on the hockey playoff thread, I don't know of anyone who was an active part of five Memorial Cup champions. Hap Emms coached and/or managed four Cup winners (two in Barrie and two in Niagara Falls).

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I'd settle for one, JJ. Four Mem Cups is unreal.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

One guy I'd love to interview (if I could find him) is a guy named Robert Savard, who is the only man to have played for three straight Cup winners - Cornwall in 1979 and 1980, and Kitchener in 1981.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

That little puke Darcy Tucker was with that Blazers team that won those three Cups.

12. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Yup ... hardest trophy in hockey to win.

And what you'll notice about the Rockets in la Belle Province is how Huska has brought the Blazers of its domination years back to life.

Kamloops had a club that consistently built a team from the goal-line out and Huska's team plays a hard-nosed, grinding defence. Pay attention to the number of shots they'll block, how they sacrifice their bodies, how they tend to the rebounds and how they clear the lanes for Guggenburger.

Oh and heads up for Tyler Myers ... not that you can't see the freight train coming. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted