1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2009 NFL MVP is exactly who you thought it is

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Those two QBs will meet in the Super Bowl, after bypassing appearances in the Pro Bowl.
    Can't have but one winner, so congrats to Peyton and let's move on to the matchup.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Should have been Favre

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

No question. Running backs are becoming as interchangeable as wide receivers because of the impact-induced wear and tear.

4. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I would have turned in a blank vote to protect the sanctity of the award

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

No, it shouldn't. It's a hell of a lot easier to put up those big numbers when the opposing defense has to respect the threat of Adrian Peterson running the ball. Manning did every bit as much without a running game.

6. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

No way could LenDale White do what Johnson did.

7. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

So, if you're the Titans, you'd rather have Vince freakin' Young over Chris Johnson? That's ridiculous.

As far as Payton, very much expected. That guy is the class of NFL quarterbacks, and it's not really close.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone here would say that. It's just that the Titans' season turned around when Young became the starting quarterback. You can't be an MVP when you rush for 128 yards in a 59-0 loss, but you can if you lead a team back from an 0-6 start into wild card contention.

9. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

The problem I have with Manning winning MVP is the monotony of it all.

Yeah, the Colts aren't a good football team with Sorgi or Painter under center.

Yeah, the Colts started the year 12-0 or 13-0 or 14-0 or whatever.

Yeah, Manning is a great leader, makes funny ads and loves audibling at the line.

Yeah, Manning had to overcome a bad running game/defense/etc. along the way.

Blah. Blah. Blah.

Think about it: Unless someone pulls a Tom Brady circa 2007 season, Manning could win the MVP every fucking year. And while it may very well be the "right" choice 90 percent of the time, it's pretty damn boring/uninspired/predictable.

That said, I'll take arguably Rivers' best season over just another good Manning year. 8)

10. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

I just completely disagree Young was the team's MVP. Just my opinion.

A quarterback change was necessary, yes, but I think anyone could have pretty much filled in. Collins' days were gone. I'm still not sold VY is a legit starting NFL QB.

There's no way I would say VY carried that team this year. The change breathed life into the club, but Johnson was the whole freakin' offense.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Johnson might have been the whole freakin' offense, but if he rushes for a 150 yards per game on an 0-16, there's absolutely no way he would even be considered for MVP.

Johnson was the best player, the Most Outstanding Player, on the Titans, easily. VY might have been the team's MVP, because without that quarterback change and VY's improved play -- think about that fourth-and-goal TD to beat Arizona in the final seconds -- the Titans might have been contending to be on the clock, not to be in the playoffs.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

And you think they would have been in contention without Johnson?

Draft saved Draft deleted