1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2009 NBA Draft thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JackReacher, May 19, 2009.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

One reason someone could argue against the effectiveness of the lottery.

Then again, the Cavs and Bulls could argue the other side, too.

Ford has Maynor going 17 to the Sixers, where his college career ended and his pro career would begin. Interesting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Where do they have Jennings going?

3. JackReacher

I think Ford had him with the Warriors.

4. dargan

dargan Active Member

LA should trade the pick to avoid someone the embarrassment.

5. dargan

dargan Active Member

I DVRed the lottery -- I know, my life's pathetic -- and was just now watching it.

Did Mark Jones say "Clipper Nation" at the end? Seriously?

6. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Isn't that the same guy that used to say the NBA jam posse?

7. dargan

dargan Active Member

I think so. He's one of many on the ESPN NBA jackass parade.

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Jones was talking out of his arse, as usual, but I do remember a time when there were people jumping on the Clippers bandwagon.

Of course, some came to their senses pretty quickly.

Others took a while.

http://slamonline.com/online/nba/2008/12/never-meant-to-be/

While I'm sure he can afford it, I'm believe Bill Simmons is pretty annoyed about the money he's wasted.

9. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

A starting five of Davis, Gordon, Thornton, Griffin and Kaman is pretty damn solid, on paper at least.

Then again, things like chemistry, defense and one basketball allowed on the floor at a time might get in the way of success.

10. dargan

dargan Active Member

I've heard rumors of Chris Kaman or Tracy McGrady to San Antonio. Don't know if there's any credibility since those rumors have probably been ESPN-fed.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I like the way the NHL does their draft lottery: take the five worst records, weight the thing so that the team with the worst record (islanders) has the highest chance of winning.

The whole idea of the draft is to help the worst teams get better, like the Cavaliers with LeBron James and the Penguins with Sidney Crosby. The only reason not to just go straight inverse order (like the NFL does) is that, sadly, teams might try to manipulate the results.

As for Blake Griffin, it would be interesting to see if he really wants to play for Oklahoma City. I don't know that he does, just read speculation in a Tulsa paper's website after he had declared.

Would he pull an Eli Manning or John Elway and either force a trade or warn the Clippers and Grizzlies not to select him? Would be interesting.

12. JackReacher

Not a chance in hell. Griffin has a little class.

And if the Clips draft him, they have to unload one of their 746 power forwards. They have to.

This is obviously a one-player draft. But is he good enough for someone to try and trade up into the top pick? And what would the Clips ask for in return?

Draft saved Draft deleted