1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2009 NASCAR running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jan 1, 2009.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I love Jim Hunter as much as anyone...but I had no interest in ever going back to Darlington. Don't know why (aside from the fact I had to stay in Florence). Just held no charm for me.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

NASCAR at fault in plane crash that killed Lesa France's husband, the pilot and three people on the ground. The NTSB said NASCAR violated federal rules when it allowed the plane back in the air.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/news?slug=ap-nascarplanecrash&prov=ap&type=lgns

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Bastards.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

NASCAR's gonna need a lot more money for those lawsuits than what they needed to make Mauricia Grant go away.

5. KG

KG Active Member

If they indeed violated federal safety rules, which ultimately caused the crash, they deserve every ounce of punishment they receive, plus more.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Part 2 of Daytona Speedweeks starts this weekend.

TR.com reports that there are plenty of ad buys for the Daytona 500 but that advertising post-Daytona is down about 25 percent.

http://www.thatsracin.com/116/story/21993.html

And Jeremy Mayfield is back as co-owner/driver of a one-car team with Toyotas and full-season sponsorship.

[​IMG]

http://www.thatsracin.com/232/story/22017.html

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Down 25 percent, huh?...Hello, Vegas? Put the house on the No. 88 Chevrolet to win the Daytona 500. While you're at it, double it on him to be leading the points heading into the chase.

8. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Remember when Mayfield was driving the Fingerhut/RCA car for Cale? Time flys..

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

It didn't lose its luster a decade later.

10. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

I never made it to Talladega or Bristol night race when I had a business reason to be at the track. Wish I would've gone at some point.

11. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Do you think they'll last the year?

12. DCaraviello

DCaraviello Member

Thank you. Been hearing this canard all offseason, on this board and elsewhere, about races being canceled because of the recession. Not going to happen. BLOGS! like to mention if offhand all the time, as if it's a foregone conclusion. The truth is that NASCAR is in the second year of an eight-year, $4.8 billion TV contract, and tracks get 65 percent of that cash. Barring food riots in the streets, races will go on.

Besides, everyone is focused on the wrong sport here. Golf is in a much more serious position. LPGA, European and Asian tour events have already been canceled. While the PGA Tour has a healthy reserve fund, anyone who watches TV knows that financial companies make up a large percentage of their sponsorship base. These days, that's unsteady ground.

Draft saved Draft deleted