1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2009 Baseball Thread, Part Deux: The Jerry Remy Edition

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KP, Apr 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

This Robinson crap really frosts me.

Jackie.... Jesus Christ

Larry Doby.... Utter Zero

Give me a fucking break. Doby went through everything Robinson did.

2. Larry Doby didn't play in New York.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

He absolutey said that. I about choked on my dinner, then I hit rewind on my TiVo. He definitely had a brain cramp and said that Jackie Robinson died in a plane crash heading to Nicaragua. 100 percent confirmed.

I like Karl Ravech, but that's a huge mental blunder, and in the middle of a Jackie Robinson tribute show of all times.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

My god, they just showed the Rotunda inside CitiBank Park. That takes your breath away.

5. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

I'm sure he did. And I'm sure the third, fourth and fifth black players in the big leagues went through much the same experience, as well. The list goes far beyond Robinson and Doby. But the fact remains that Robinson was first, he was the only one who entered completely uncharted territory. And you can certainly make the case that Doby might never have been signed, or would have had to wait years longer, had the Robinson experiment not been successful. It's not diminishing what Doby went through to say that Jackie's in a class by himself.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Like the credit lathered on your namesake, this honor of a universal retirement of number (I was fine with that, but that should have been it) combined with this was WAY overkill.

And, no, the third guy came in the next season. BIG difference.

This makes it seems like Robinson died while trying to save others.

7. Holy Tebow.

8. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Why would coming in the next season be such a big difference? You think racism was dead after 1947?

Robinson and Doby were far from the only pioneers, but Jackie gets the most credit because if he had failed, as a player or as a person, other black players, including Doby, probably weren't going to get another shot any time soon. I don't see how anything baseball has done to honor him could be considered overkill.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Larry Doby, who grew up in Pateron, NJ,is revered in these parts. And as nice and gentle and caring a man as he was and for as much as he gave to the inner city kids in New Jersey, he was always bitter about the fact that what he went through was often overlooked.

10. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

I've got an interesting baseball question. If a player walks in his only plate appearance, does he continue a hitting streak or does it end? The question was raised at work tonight because one statistical service credits St. Louis' Chris Duncan with a nine-game hit streak. However, he walked April 8 in his only appearance against the Pirates.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Hitting streak continues.

12. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

Yes. I just found this on MLB.com:

Consecutive Hitting Streaks: A consecutive hitting streak shall not be terminated if the plate appearance results in a base on balls, hit batsman, defensive interference or a sacrifice bunt. A sacrifice fly shall terminate the streak.

Consecutive-Game Hitting Streaks: A consecutive-game hitting streak shall not be terminated if all the player's plate appearances (one or more) results in a base on balls, hit batsman, defensive interference or a sacrifice bunt. The streak shall terminate if the player has a sacrifice fly and no hit. The player's individual consecutive-game hitting streak shall be determined by the consecutive games in which the player appears and is not determined by his club's games.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.