1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2009-2010 Hot Stove Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Nov 4, 2009.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

The last Yankee offer was one year, 5 mill.

Damon on FAN one day, admitted he was offered 2 years, $14 mill but "we" (Bor-ass) wanted 2-$22 mill.
    The Yanks left 2-14 on the table for a few weeks and got no reply from Bor-ass.

The Tigers made a bad deal because Damon is not a leadoff hitter and he is a defensive liability.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The way I heard it, Boras did finally ask the Yankees what was the best they could do. The response was supposedly something sarcastic saying that they thought he wouldn't take less than the 2-year, $22 million. Seems to me as if they were trying to angle for that 1-year, $5 million all along, thinking they could get Damon the way the Angels got Abreu the year before, and it didn't work.

No that what Boras and Damon did worked, either, but it was a mutual mistake.

And Damon is a much better option at leadoff or batting second than anybody the Tigers had. No question he is a defensive liability, but they also needed the offensive help.

3. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Jon Heyman is reporting via Twitter that that the Cardinals have signed second baseman Felipe Lopez for about $1.75 million dollars. The deal includes some incentive bonuses.

http://metsmerizedonline.com/2010/02/cardinals-sign-felipe-lopez-for-1-75mm.html

4. outofplace

I'd make a smart-ass comment about one of the teams that let him get away just brought the guy back, but the price tag is so low that this was probably too much of a bargain for the Cardinals to pass up.

5. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Compared to Carlos Guillen patrolling left field, Damon could look like a gold glover.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Whoa, whoa, wait, back up a minute.

Cubs Anal? Is this shit real?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Ha!

First game March 27!

http://www.twincities.com/ci_14505522

(Watch, we'll get another twenty inches later this month)

8. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Don't know if this has been mentioned, but Justin Upton signed a six-year, $51.25 million extension with the Diamondbacks yesterday.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamondbacks/articles/2010/03/03/20100303diamondbacks-justin-upton.html

Great move by Arizona. If Upton becomes the player most think, he could be worth at least three times that on the open market.

9. outofplace

He looked like he was already becoming that player at times in '09, too. I would be a little worried about injuries and the fact that he still strikes out way too much. His average on balls in play last year was probably unsustainable, so he's going to have to make more contact. But for a team like Arizona, it's a risk they have to take at that price.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The fans have been taking it up the ass the last 102 years or so.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Glad to see the old Sports Illustrated design theory that "our magazine is so action-packed that it's literally bursting off the page and there's no need to show our complete logo!!!!!!!!!!" come back to bite somebody in the ass.

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

He's 21 years old. I don't think I'd be concerned about injuries or strikeouts with him, particularly at that price. I suspect Upton's going to end up regretting the deal way more than the Diamondbacks will.

Draft saved Draft deleted