1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2009-10 NHL Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Sep 12, 2009.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

What a bunch of horseshit. Please explain how he stabbed Tochett in the back.

2. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I was wondering the same thing.

3. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I'm curious as to what other teams were presented to Heatley as options when this trade was brought to him, considering all he wanted was options, what were his other options? what a douchenozzle.

4. derwood

derwood Active Member

He wanted San Jose or LA. Six of eight teams on his list were non-starters for various reasons. Kings did not want him so it came down to a single suitor.

5. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I'm just referring to his press conference a couple of weeks ago, when asked why he said no to the Oilers. He said he never said no to the Oilers, just that he wanted options instead of being forced into accepting one destination. he wanted options. I'm just wondering what other options he was offered this time, or was he forced to go to the one place that was offered.

Yes I know I'm being facetious. Just really trying to point out that not only is he a complete douchenozzle, but a hypocrite as well. Have some balls and say you didn't want to come to Edmonton, if that was the case, you're going to be booed regardless, may as well do so with at least your pride intact instead of pussyfooting around it.

6. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

me too. I can't say if he's a good or bad coach.....but I am definitely surprised with the anger toward Gretzky...."the fake one". what does that even mean?

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

The anger comes from a Pens fanboi who thinks poor Mario was portrayed in a negative light in his early days.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

Whose call would it be if not Gretzky's?

I doubt very much that Gretzky marches to Don Maloney's drum, or to anyone else's when it comes to the on-ice workings of the club.

Don't forget, we're talking about a guy who was all but the de facto general manager of the Kings when he was a player.

9. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

He also realizes he is pretty much a deadman walking. Neither the NHL or Rim Job Jim has said they will keep him on. In fact both the Reinsdorf group and the Ice Edge group prior to dropping out said he would not be retained as coach. In the process he has basically been told he will see very little if anything from the NHL for his 10 per cent (or whatever it is) ownership of the club, plus he was dragged through a ton of shit during these proceedings, with his personal finances coming under scrutiny, his job being publicly called in to question as coach especially when it broke how much he was making, and just the constant wear and tear of the proceedings. And if he did show up, the spot light would 100 per cent be on him and the proceedings, instead of mostly the proceedings and partly the team on the ice. He would be an extra distraction. I can understand why he doesn't want to be there. Ulf Sameulson should be able to handle putting the team through their paces for the next three days.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Uh, wrong on all counts. He was most definitely a part of the Ice Edge group's plans, having agreed to take a salary cut to $2 million per year. The NHL has said it absolutely wants him to stay on as coach. As for RIM Jim, he would jizz all over himself to have Gretzky come along with the franchise. Dead man walking? No way.....not even close.

Chris Johnston of the Canadian Press, having talked to Maloney and been in contact with Bill Daly, says staying away definitely was Gretzky's idea.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5jJO8owX9LiMYcbMa2YWvWhtrG9ug

11. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Double J,

There is some serious dispute about Gretzky's future if the NHL wins. It is true that he has made a deal with Ice Edge, but that's not the case with the league. And, considering that Reinsdorf may re-enter the picture if Bettman gains control, his future is far from secure. It is a near-certainty that if Reinsdorf or son becomes owner, Gretzky is out.

As for Gretzky not wanting to relocate to Hamilton, well, he said in an interview with Scott Oake last season that if the team moved, he would not be going with it. His family, including four children, are all from that area of the US. I can hardly blame him, as a father, for not wanting to displace them.

12. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

My apologies, I had some how missed the deal he made with Ice Edge holdings. Still that point is now moot.
    First, he's not going to Hamilton.
    Second, I have an extremely hard time seeing Gretz stay on even if the Reinsdorfs aren't brought in if the NHL wins. A) there is zero chance they would pay him his current stippend to continue coaching. Likely nowhere near it. B) In the final adjustment made by the NHL in their bid, only $14 million is to go to Moyes and Gretzky with the vast majority (how much Idon't think has been released yet) going to Moyes. So to consider Gretzky could earn in the neighborhood of $20 million from the Balsillie bid I don't think he'd be to happy to turn around and work for someone who will only give him a fraction of that instead. Plus throw in a major pay cut. And that's assuming the Coyotes aren't flipped to the Reinsdorfs.

Draft saved Draft deleted