1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2008 running fantasy football thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mustangj17, Jul 9, 2008.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Tom Brady's year-by-year TDs the last five years: 23, 28, 26, 24, 50.
    Peyton Manning's year-by-year TDs the last five years: 29, 49, 28, 31, 31.

Peyton also has seven rushing TDs the last two years compared to Brady's two.

I'll bet everyone on this board $5 that Peyton Manning throws more TD passes this year than Tom Brady. I'll bet everyone another $5 that Brady throws less than 30 TDs.

Here's the single-season TD passing leaders, and what they did the following year:

Brady (2007) 50: ??
    Manning (2004) 49: 28
    Marino (1984) 48: 30
    Marino (1986) 44: 26
    Warner (1999) 41: 21
    Favre (1996): 39: 35
    Culpepper (2004) 39: 6
    Favre (1995) 38: 39

You're a sucker if you draft Tom Brady higher than you would normally draft Peyton Manning.

2. Sconnie

Sconnie Member

Don't forget that leagues are different...do you get 6 points for a passing TD? Or 4? Do you get one point for every 25 yards passing? 20? 40? or 50?

If LT runs for 25 TDs, catches 5 more, and gains say 2500 total yards, well that's 305 points (based on 6 pt TDs and 1 point per 20 yards)

If Brady/Peyton throws 30 TDs, runs for 1 TD and passes for 3500 yards, that's 266 points (based on four point passing TDs, 6 point rushing TDs, and one point for every 25 passing yards) or 326 points (based on six points for all TDs and 1 point for every 25 yards)...

You have to make your decisions based on how many points a passing TD is worth and how many yards gains one point. Project the stats, figure out the points, and then pick who is going to score more...

3. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I'm in charge of a fantasy league this season, and we want to make it year No. 1 of a keeper league. I haven't really been able to find any good guides as to how to do that, though. We were just going to draft this year as normal, then next year let each team keep two players and assign draft order in reverse of the standings.

Is there a better way to do it? Batman mentioned losing a particular round draft pick for certain keepers. How's that work exactly?

4. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

You get to keep a player. The cost of keeping that player is your pick from the round in which you picked him last year.

5. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

How/Can you abolish a team's x-round pick in an online draft, particularly Yahoo? That's where our league is played.

6. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Force him to pick a player ranked at the bottom. Or, you could do the draft yourself and just input the picks later.

7. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Or, you can make it clear who everyone's keeper is and don't let anyone pick that player until his round comes up.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

If you go that route, you could also have the first one or two rounds be the "keeper" rounds. Make it clear who the keepers are, pick the keepers right off the top, then start the draft as usual in round two or three, depending on how many players are kept.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Given how many strong WRs there were last year, I'm surprised to see the focus is still on RBs. Having good ones helped me last year, but I was a middling team until Andre Johnson came back. After he did, I didn't lose again.

10. TheSportsPredictor

Where's the $5 that everyone owes me?

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

This is even funnier given that your team is in the shitter because you have Brady.

12. TheSportsPredictor

I even win money off my non-money teams!

Draft saved Draft deleted