1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2008 running fantasy football thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mustangj17, Jul 9, 2008.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Some of you will surely think this is too early but here it goes...

My league is now forming and I'm looking for suggestions for team names. It is a point of pride for me to have the funniest team name so Bad Newz Kenelz is just so last year.

In an unrelated story, I have the third pick and rumor has it guy No. 2 wants Brady at all costs. I think everyone knows thats a few picks early, but I won't complain. That means AP, or LT will fall to me in the three spot.

But back to Brady... since he is so far above any QB, even Manning by last year's numbers, at what point is it reasonable to jump out and get him?

One the one side you can argue two is far too early. But, on the other hand, he's going to score more points than any QB, so by getting him you are going to outscore all of your opponents by a lot of points.

If you grab Brady, and come back in round two and get a running back like Maurice Jones Drew or Jamal Lewis, you're probably going to outscore the guy who got Steven Jackson in round 1, and Tony Romo in round two.

Your thoughts/suggestions?

2. pallister

pallister Guest

OK, as much as I love fantasy football, it's the second week of July.

Also, if Brady doesn't go No. 1, you're playing with a bunch of 8-year-old girls and should win your league by 10 games.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I suck at fantasy sports and even I know that.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Well, I love football so its never too early for me. Surely, there has to be someone else on here who agrees.

And Brady No. 1? I wish I was playing with you in my league. I haven't seen anyone having him that high this year.

5. pallister

pallister Guest

He threw 50 TDs last year. Did you watch any football last season? Seriously, I've never said this, but DTGDTN.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Yeah I realize that, and I'm also looking at a mock draft in a magazine where he went 14th.

An NBC sports mock draft in the same magazine has him fifth.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

At 50 tds he is obviously the top pick. But then again if LT runs for 30 tds, he's making a good case too. I don't know though. I'd be happy if Brady fell to me at three, but I won't be unhappy with LT.

8. pallister

pallister Guest

Let me guess, the publisher of said magazine is an 8-year-old girl.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

This is what I'm baffled about. He's a stud choice, but none of the experts have him at No.1.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

You can't expect 50 TDs out of Brady this year, just because some defenses have got to figure the Pats' scheme out. You saw that a little toward the end of last season. However, 30-35 TDs is a distinct possibility, which puts him up there in the top three or four QBs.
    I've never understood the sneering at people who take a QB in the first round. To me, there's maybe 4 or 5 elite ones, then a bunch of average ones. Brady, Peyton Manning, Romo, Brees, maybe the trio of Palmer, McNabb and Bulger if they're healthy, and then a big dropoff to the next tier of guys like Eli and Hasselbeck. No different than RBs, really.

On another note, I got giddy about this stuff when our league had its annual owner's meeting today. We changed our keeper rules, which means I get Adrian Peterson (the good one) for a sixth-round pick. Woohoo!

11. pallister

pallister Guest

I got Peterson in the 5th and 7th in two leagues, but neither are keeper leagues.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

?
    Bummer. I think he'll go just a wee bit higher this year.
    Obviously, I've got to keep Peterson. But for a while I was seriously considering keeping Ryan Grant as a 10th-rounder (free agents in our league count as a 10th-round pick for keeper purposes). Is there any merit to that, or was that sheer lunacy on my part

Draft saved Draft deleted