1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2008 Heisman Trophy thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Dec 10, 2008.

?

Of the finalists, which one does SJ.com--and there are Heisman voters on the board--wins College Foo

1. Colt McCoy

9 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Sam Bradford

24 vote(s)
    44.4%
  3. Tim Tebow

21 vote(s)
    38.9%
  1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

How long ago was it that they only brought the winner in? I only remember following it as far back as the early 80s, when I was younger, and my memory was that they always had multiple candidates there. It could be false memories, though.

My friend was a Heisman finalist in the early 90s, and there were two of them (maybe three; I know two for sure) in NY at the Downtown AC, but I believe the winner wasn't even there and they teleconferenced him.

I agree it's different since they moved it from the Downtown AC, but I didn't realize they only used to bring the winner in. When was that?

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Is this thread a voting thread or a prediction thread? There appears to be a word or two missing from the explainer.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Indeed. Should the missing word(s) be "think" or "think deserves to (win)"?

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I have a vote and voted for Tebow. But I think Bradford will win it.

I was leaning Bradford before last weekend, but then was just blown away by what Tebow did in the SEC championship. But if Bradford wins, he'll be deserving, too.

5. djcarpen

djcarpen New Member

Tebow deserves to win. After the Ole Miss loss, he spoke out and said that he wouldn't let this team lose again. No player this year has had to carry their team as much as him. The SEC championship game put him over the edge.

6. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

The Tebow "willed" his team comments are the same BS as Tyler Hansbrough plays harder than anybody else in college hoops.

Bradford threw 48 TD's with 6 INTS. He wasn't "willing" his team to victory?

As someone wrote about McCoy, more rushing yards than the throwing Mike Alsott but he wasn't "willing" his team to victory?

No player had to carry his team more than Tebow? How about McCoy? He doesn't have any first round picks playing WR on his team.

7. prezclinton

prezclinton Active Member

I think it's stupid to argue whose supporting cast was better. They all had good lines and good skill position players. They still had to make plays.

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Crabtree is better than all of them. Rename the award best glamor boy on a winning team.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

My question is, why are Tebow and McCoy wasting their time flying in to see who's runner-up?

10. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

He is the better talent but do you think he had a the best season?

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

It's supposed to be the award for most outstanding player in college football. I'd feel stronger about Bradford or McCoy if both they and Harrell weren't each putting up Arena League numbers against pissass Big 12 defenses. When THREE guys are doing the same thing it loses some luster, or perhaps calls into question the level of the competition.

I'd give it to Tebow of the three. But no one on that list is more outstanding than Crabtree.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I tend to agree. A lot more people watched that game than did the Big 12 title game.

I think it will be interesting to see if people won't vote for Tebow because he's already won, or if they vote for him because it would be cool to see someone win it twice.

Draft saved Draft deleted