1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2008 Death Pool Candidates

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Walter_Sobchak, Dec 21, 2007.

1. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

OK, so my buddies and I are doing our first death pool for the new year. Standard scoring system, where you get 100- (age) of the deathee as points. Therefore, you don't want to pick all 90 year olds on the verge of croaking.

Obviously, there are some sure things. Ariel Sharon comes to mind. Dick Clark and Fidel Castro also seem to be solid picks. I may also throw in a few wrestlers like Superstar Billy Graham.

I need some younger ideas, however. Amy Winehouse is probably a good pick, but I'm guessing everyone's gonna have her.

So I ask my SportsJournalists.com brethren, who is a good candidate for my pool?

(Oh, and a disclaimer: Yes, I am an asshole for doing a death pool. I will be the first to admit that. But this thread is not about the morality of such bets. Please stick to the topic at hand.)

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Ay-mee Wine-house (clap, clap, clap clap clap)

3. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

Check the Mitchell Report. Or the world of professional bodybuilding. Or the circle of matadors in Mexico in Spain.

Seriously, crass or not, it's never a bad idea to pick someone who works at a high-risk job.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

When I won a DP three years in a row, I tried to find celebs that had been or were battling a long illness rather than go for the young out of control celeb.
    But if you just submit the list of players for Celebrity Rehab you should do okay. Liz Taylor might not be a bad choice. Another good thing to scout for is celebrities that are frail and get that courtesy applause type of thing just for still hanging in there.

Can you still put down Steve Fossett?

5. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

Dickey V.
    Michael Vick [worth of a lot of points if he gets shivved in the shower]
    Britney Spears [I can see her getting in a bad car wreck that disfigures her face after which she pulls a Savannah]

6. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

And if you feel creepy about a Dead Pool, do a Celebrity Justice pool with a point for an arrest, an extra point if its a felony and another point if they do time in jail.

8. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

How famous does the person have to be? Do you have parameters for that? Because I could go down to the local nursing home and give you a bunch of 20-point sure things.

9. Rex Harrison

Rex Harrison Member

Andy Griffith

10. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

Isn't it about time for another Kennedy to take a dirt nap?

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

OMG. Is that Mickey Rourke?

Oh, snap!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted