1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2008 AL/NL Manager of the Year

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KevinmH9, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

You're correct, Joe. The Cubs were picked to win the division, but the D'backs and Mets were expected to have better records. No one expected the Cubs to be 30 games over .500 this year, considering all they added from last year's team was Fukudome and a full season of Geovany Soto.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

No, didn't say that. But the NL West has completely fallen apart, and the Mets were coming off a historic collapse last year and fired their manager in mid-season. "Dominating" the league isn't quite as impressive as it might have been a year ago.

DC is right: No one expected the Cubs to be 30 games over .500. That said, I don't see Piniella as the clear-cut winner here, although he's right up there. He had a pretty good team to work with and it's not like they're on pace to win 105 games or something, which one could call "dominating." They're the best team in the league, no question, but it's a pretty weak league.

If Cooper and the Astros do something extraordinary to get into the playoffs, I think you have to go with him. And Manuel's done an excellent job, too, considering the circumstances.

3. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Well, if it's a down league, buck, why would the Astros sneaking into the wild card be particularly impressive? You can't downplay the Cubs' accomplishment by saying the competition isn't all that good without doing the same to the Astros or Cards. The Cubs were one of a handful of teams expected to be good. Instead they've been the class of the league. The only real competition for Piniella is Jerry Manuel.

4. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Nobody was expected to dominate the NL, but its not really a surprise that the Cubs have. Who are the surprising teams this year in the NL? Cards and Marlins. Houston if they make the playoffs.

5. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

It's not really a surprise the Cubs have dominated? Think about that sentence for a second. It's not surprising the Cubs ... the Cubs ... have dominated?

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

If the Astros get in, you're flat-out wrong on that one. Or at least you should be.

The Astros getting into the playoffs is more of a surprise, especially when they seemed to be out of it in July, than the Cubs having the best record in the NL.

And despite what Dickens is trying to claim, the Cubs' history as lovable losers should have no bearing on this whatsoever. This isn't the old Cubs. This is a team that won its division a year ago and only got better in the offseason.

7. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Maybe I'm the only one who was beat to death by the Cubs predictions in March. Hell, many were saying this was the year. Maybe some just have short memories. I can't help it if some didn't buy it (for good reason, ie history)

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

You can't seriously penalize Cooper for Oswalt's success, can you?

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Strange, but true. It's not a surprise. With that team and that payroll, it was expected.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I'm not surprised by what the Cubs have accomplished -- behold what happens when you spend wisely -- but Piniella's done this kind of work now with three different teams and that has to count for something.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

Darkhorse for NL manager - Charlie Manuel.

12. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

I cannot envision a scenario in which C. Manuel wins. Even if he catches NY, the Mets would get ripped so badly for another collapse that he and the Phils would get no credit. If he doesn't catch NY, forget it -- he'd just be the manager of a team that led the division most of the year and let it get away. Either way, no chance.

Draft saved Draft deleted