1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2008/09 NHL Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flash, Sep 17, 2008.

1. From our failing hands we throw the torch....
    Bien joue, Patrick.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

And in Toronto, another number "honouring" ceremony. This time it's Wendel Clark.

I liked Clark as much as anybody else when he played but come on, this is getting ridiculous. Who's next - Errol Thompson? Miroslav Frycer?

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Double J, c'mon. You're trying to figure out how MLSE's mind works. This is the same group of goofs that had a ceremony to honour Tie Dummy's 1000th game as a Leaf

Clark is arguably the most popular and beloved player of maybe the last 25 years.

Edit: And the Leafs are beating the Hawks 3-0 in the second. Big David Bolland contingent at The Goose tonight.

4. Great game in Montreal right now.
    1-1 B's-Habs.2d period.
    B's play this team very well so far.

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Dmitri Yushkevich Day? Peter Zezel Night?

Morrison and Clark touring Maple Leaf Gardens. I wonder if they'll stop into the back rooms where stick boys were molested by degenerate pieces of human filth.

What, too dark?

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

I'd say Wendel is second to Dougie G in terms of popularity over the time frame in question.

Apparently they're honouring Gilmour as well sometime this season.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

January I believe..for Dougie.

Around here I'd say it's about 50/50.

And Mimico's David Bolland got an assist on the tying goal and the OT winner for the Hawks. Goose will be hopping tonight

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

9. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

All i will say to this is when Burke is speaking regarding Lowe or Penner, you got to take whatever comes out of that blow hards mouth with a grain of salt. That and Penner came into camp this year in shape as was reported repeatedly in the papers up here during camp. Last year he was completely out of shape.

10. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Didn't get to watch the Roy ceremony but heard it bordered on 50 minutes. I'm sorry that's far too long.

Also heard the ovation for Clark pretty much lasted longer than his speach, which was short and sweet. Too bad not enough athletes go with this method during their Number retirement ceremonies.

11. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Those Bruins look pretty damn good.

Maybe it's time to dust off the old bandwagon and give er a go.

I'm more of an AHL guy though.

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I've been meaning to respond to this post, but a week's worth of jury duty halted that plan until now. I saw the same interview you did and came away with the feeling that Melrose did not play Stamkos because he felt that the kid was not NHL ready. I don't think it had anything to do with the kid deserving it or not; that perhaps Melrose felt that the kid would have been better off with another year in the OHL or spending the season in the American League.

Draft saved Draft deleted