1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2008-09 NBA Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by GB-Hack, Oct 28, 2008.

1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Season starts tonight. Want to see how Oden does in his first game.

Here's some predicitions from ESPN's group: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/preview2008/news/story?page=NBAChamps-081028

Predictably, the majority say either the Lakers or Celtics win it all.

Personally, I'd like to see New Orleans and Orlando make the finals. Doubt that comes through though.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

You and I must share a brain, GB. I was just looking back a few pages to see if an NBA thread had already been started.

Anyway, thanks to last year's Western Conference race/playoffs, I am a fan of the league again. The East will be better than in years past, though one sub-.500 team will still make the playoffs.

Baron Davis' beard won't be enough to get the Clips into the playoffs.

The Cavs will again make it to the conference finals but will find that LeBron can't win the damn thing by himself.

Just hoping my Suns stay relevant. Could be Nash's last stand ...

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Most intriguing team has to be the Blazers; those Spaniards, Rudy Fernandez and Sergio Rodriguez are the real deal, plus the addition of Oden and mainstays Aldridge and Roy. Wow.

Lakers are favorites because of Bynum. I just hope they can stick together for the year so we can see how good they are. I don't think they need to unload Odom, just somehow get him to find a comfort zone.

Suns? Sadly Shaq simply drags that team down. Yet, they looked pretty good for a game and a half with the Spurs. Hard to believe that Matt Barnes and Robin Lopez are the answer though.

Rockets. Artest is intriguing. But beyond that, he's never won anything (nor has T-Mac or Yao). Do not think it starts now.

Celts. Simply because they are defending champs. Read some quote from Rivers at the start of last year telling the big 3 that this was their one chance, forget next year. Guess he wasn't so bad after all.

My Warriors? Sadly went from one of the most exciting teams in the league to a mere shell of a team; hoping to eck out victories over the Kings/Clips/T Wolves, etc. as Maggette dominates the ball and the youngsters (Brandon Wright, Anthony Randolph, Belinelli) rot on the bench.

4. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

What, no homage to Penny Hardaway?

5. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I agree that the Blazers are going to be fun to watch. Too bad I'll probably never get to see them play...
    Also curious to see what happens with OKC and Durant.
    I think it was the ESPN preview that called the Grizzlies the most exciting lotto team. Will be interesting to see how OJ does and just what happens with all those kids.
    Curious to see how much better Miami will be in the East this year and if the Bulls are really as bad as they looked last year.
    The Cavs came so damn close to beating Boston last year they've got to be the other team to watch out of the East and should be damn fun to watch now that they're running and gunning.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Where's Lil' Penny hanging?

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I followed LeBron's lead and refused to watch the Celtics championship ceremony.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

It was kind of lame, but the rings they got were ridiculously huge.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I guess now I have to boycott your posts!

10. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

The Lakers have the best team on paper. But they were exposed as soft in the Finals and flatout quit in Game 6. Maybe Bynum can bring some much-needed toughness to LA.

Celtics will miss James Posey. Hopefully Tony Allen can step up and fill his spot. He can play some good D, but I wonder if he got that explosiveness back that he lost last season.

Cavs (and Mo Williams) are really intriguing.

Blazers and Grizzlies should be exciting to watch. Suns and Mavs are on the downside and one of them might not make the playoffs. Rockets look great on paper, but the Artest factor/injury bug will probably kill them. I think the Clippers could be a surprise team.

11. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Man, this Cavs/Celtics game is ugly. I also just remembered how much worse regular season NBA is to watch than playoffs.

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

No real surprise there. Both don't mind winning ugly with defense.

Draft saved Draft deleted