1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2008-09 Hot Stove Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Oct 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I know there is a World Series thread, but I wanted to try something different. These topics would be completely lost in the play-by-play of games.

Ken Rosenthal reports that Manny Ramirez wants at least six years at $25 million per. I thought the Blue Jays would be interested -- Ricciardi chased him during one of the times when the Bosox considered dealing him -- but he's denying it.

And the Mariners hired Jack Zduriencik as their new GM. Great, great hire.

Wonder when/if Kim Ng will get a shot.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Re: Baseball News Thread

Spellchecks in newsrooms across the Seattle area just went haywire.

3. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

In the bear shit in the woods department, the Cards declined their option on Mark Mulder, and Mark Prior is rehabbing. He'll be an FA.

Definitely a good idea Elliotte. I was just pondering the absence of an early Hot Stove thread for the non WS combatants.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Excellent idea, Elliotte.

Jon Heyman reported that the Dodgers are willing to pay the kind of money Ramirez is supposedly looking for, but they only want to sign him to a two-year deal.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/baseball/mlb/10/22/heyman.manny/index.html?eref=si_mlb

Nobody would really be dumb enough to give him him six years at $25 million per, right?

5. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2007/12/2009-mlb-free-a.html

Here's a list of the 2009 MLB free agents. I think this will be a very interesting offseason as there are a lot of big names out there.

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Oh Mr. Steinbrenner.... :D

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Well, it was those same Dodgers who were dumb enough to give Andruw Jones two years at $18M, remember. So don't put it past them ...

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

True. That one looked like a disaster from the minute they announced it, but they did limit the risk by limiting the length of the deal to two years. I doubt they go past three years.

Then again, all it takes is one owner with more money than sense. Just ask Tom Hicks.

9. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

With a decent range of closers available, it'll be interesting to see who the Mets go after.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Don't you know that starting these threads diminishes the World Series?

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

CRAP! Down goes the Brewers' scouting department.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Holy crap, that's funny.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.