1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2007: The Year Without An Autumn

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Football_Bat, Oct 7, 2007.

1. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Usually there are four seasons in upstate NY, as I have lived here all my life:
    Almost winter
    Winter
    Still winter
    Construction

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

We are supposed to stay between 61 overnight and 88 during the day for the next 10 days, but that isn't really that rare for us. Hell, it was 87 degrees on Dec. 16 last year. I remember because I covered a state championship football game and sweated through the entire thing.

3. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Jeebus, man. Are you residing in hell?

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Happy Birthday.

5. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Shit, I'd trade places with most of you. Where I live, it was the year without a summer. Kept waiting for it, but it never showed up.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

How was the beef stew?

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

He's in Texas, so he's in the same area code as hell.

8. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

In Pittsburgh it's 85 degrees as we speak and hazy, hot & humid. The lead story on the Noon news was the weather, followed by yesterday's Steeler game, which just goes to show what a big deal it is.

Tomorrow it's supposed to 79. Wednesday the high is 67....THANK GOD!

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

And yet we're going to fall short of the record for today set in the late 1800s.

No one's denying that the average temperature has gone up about one degree in the last hundred years. But it's done that in cycles long before there was man.

My real question about global warming is this: I'm willing to bet that if something happened that proved to liberals that the current cycle is completely natural, they'd embrace it as this great, great thing, the consequences be damned. But in attempting to blame it on man, they insist it has to be a bad thing.

I don't know about you guys, but I certainly was glad to be Jet-Skiing yesterday instead of shoveling snow.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Serious question: How accurate were those late 1800s thermometers? I always wonder that when the weatherman mentions the high or low was set so long ago.

And the worst part of this ongoing summer to me is constantly sweating while I'm out in the woods. All my hunting gear is built for cool, if not cold, weather. Sitting in a treestand when it's 87 degrees is not enjoyable.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

It's about 60 degrees here. Got down to 35-40 last night.

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I hate to answer your serious question with a question, but I must. If you don't trust the accuracy of thermometers in the late 1800s, then on what basis at all can you suggest there is global warming? If the thermometers back then can't be relied upon, then isn't it just as possible that their inaccuracies could have been reading cooler than it actually was?

And like I said, I'm not arguing that the average temperature hasn't gone up by about one degree in 100 years. I do, however, argue that man has more of an effect on it than solar activity and numerous other natural phenomenon.

I do, however, sympathize with your situation being in a tree stand on a warm day. At the same time, no one's making you do that.

Draft saved Draft deleted