1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2007 Patriots = 2006 Mavericks

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

In college football 1983 Nebraska, 1986 Miami, 2002 Miami, and 2005 USC work pretty well for this analogy. All had once looked nearly unbeatable and were being hyped as maybe the best ever until upset in their bowl game.

2. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Was just correcting the assertion that the Mariners didn't make it out of the first round.

3. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

there is no comparison and NO precedent.

The Patriots are in a league of their own in the canons of a BEAT DOWN!!!!!!!

The giants were only suppose to be another roadkill.

LOL!!!!!!!!! Look whose crying now.

4. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

George Mason vs. UConn?

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Miami lost that Fiesta Bowl thanks in large part to a bullshit pass interference call that 99.999999 percent of officials never, ever, ever would call.

A better comparison would be to the 1996-97 Bulls, had they not won the title.

(But, to Bat's point: Yes, this was a major-league choke job.)

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

95-96 Bulls, wick. They won 69 games in 96-97.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Thanks, Doc, for the correction.

8. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Don't know why I'm stuck thinking about old college basketball comparisons, but the 85 Georgetown team comes to mind too. Dominant, bullies, defending champs. I think they lost 2 games during the season, then were upset, by a team they'd beaten during the year; similar to the Pats.

Or Walton's UCLA team that lost to N.C. State. I've seen interviews with him where he says he's never gotten over that loss, remembers it much more vividly than his two titles.

9. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Since it happened in the last quarter, Yankees vs Red Sox in the backdoor sweep?

10. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

What about Michigan's Fab Five? something about C-Webb and a timeout or something.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I can think of three Cougar High teams with some scrub named Olajuwon on them.

12. God, I was hoping we'd avoid this.

Draft saved Draft deleted