1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2007 Hall of Fame vote: Would you vote for McGwire?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Johnny Drama, Jul 31, 2006.

?

Would you vote for Mark McGwire for the Hall of Fame?

1. Yes

17 vote(s)
    23.3%
  2. No

56 vote(s)
    76.7%
  1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Yes. He broke a record that stood for 37 years.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Largest increase of forearm size over a 10-year period?

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

If said writers do the "right thing," zeke, I hope they're along for the ride when Dad has to explain to his 9-year-old why they drove 10 hours to Cooperstown and then went to a Hall of Fame where they didn't have all the best players.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

You mean they don't have to do that now?

5. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Without steroids, McGwire isn't one of the best players.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Because he cheated. And that's wrong.

What's so hard about that?

No harder than my Dad having to tell me why Pete Rose wasn't ever going to get in.

The reason I think the writers let him in -- they don't want to admit they were wrong, and that they fawned over frauds. But I hope I'm wrong.

7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

There's no way the Veterans Committee puts him in. All of the current Hall of Famers won't vote him in, evidence or not, because they all believe he cheated. There's no way the Bob Fellers of the world want McGwire alongside.

8. Has Casty ever said what his thoughts are?

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

To say that he "cheated" implies that he broke the rules. Were steroids banned by MLB in 1998?
    They didn't test for them at the time, did they?
    And because MLB didn't test for steroids, there's no concrete proof he used them. In all probability he did use them, but there's no proof.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

There's no "proof" that Pete Rose bet on baseball, either.

Sometimes you have to accept the fact that life isn't an episode of Matlock.

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Didn't he sign a statement acknowledging he bet on baseball? If not, I'll shut up.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Yeah, he did, I think. And then recanted. And then recanted the recantation.

My point is, some people would need a picture of McGwire or Bonds with a needle in their arm, and then they'd spend days trying to figure out if it was photoshopped.

McGwire used steroids. He all but admitted so on national television. What more do people want?

Draft saved Draft deleted