1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2006 NBA Playoffs - the best "ever"?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, Jun 23, 2006.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Several months ago, after the first round of the NBA playoffs ended, many posters here were proclaiming these to be the greatest NBA playoffs ever.

Several of those posters have offed themselves in the meantime, but I didn't hear all the hulabuloo as the rounds progressed. Did they end up being the greatest playoffs ever?

2. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

As a 17 year old, it's been the best I've seen in my lifetime.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

No.

They were pretty good.

But no better than 1988 (Jordan bombing away against the Celtics; Pistons dethroning Celtics in the East; Lakers winning two 7-game series just to get to the Finals, where they overcame a 3-2 deficit to beat the Pistons to become the first back-to-back champs in two decades).

Other good ones: 1976, 1974, 1970, 1969 . . .

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Not close. That's not to say the playoffs weren't very good. But best ever, no way.

We take you now to 1969, which might not be the best ever, either, but it had its moments, little moments like the last stand of the Celtics; beating the 76ers (Archie Clark, Hal Greer, Billy Cunningham), the Knicks (Reed, Frazier, et. al.) and the Lakers, (West, Baylor, Wilt) for the title. I enjoyed this year, but sorry, it didn't quite offer up any memories like, oh, BILL RUSSELL'S LAST GAME!
          Or 1975. Golden State's amazing run to title while over in the other conference, Elvin Hayes and Bob MacAdoo went nuts in their series, followed by the Bullets knocking off the defending champion Celts.
          1982, 84, 88, and probably 2001 were all better than this year's. That's just off the top of my head.

5. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Once LeBron and Kobe were eliminated, they sucked. [/pho-real]

Seriously, I thought 1988 was a good year.

1995 had some drama, too, with Orlando taking out the Bulls, then choking in the Finals. The West was loaded with good teams that year.

6. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

I think these playoffs will be looked upon later in the years as a very important one. It was the beginning of 'Bron and Wade having playoff success together. It would have been better if Bron and Wade went at it in the East finals but I have a feeling that it's going to happen soon.

Draft saved Draft deleted