1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

20 years ago today - oct. 14, 1987

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by txsportsscribe, Oct 14, 2007.

1. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

not back then, at least not that were so extensively covered by the national media.

2. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

i remember that stuff, but certainly not a remember where i was moment -- that's reserved for dwight fucking clark, the challenger and 9/11.

3. Faithless

Faithless Member

I was a freakin' Tennessee Walking Horse show as a spectator when the O.J. chase was going on. I missed the entire chase. Damn horse show.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Agreed -- I don't have a clue where I was for Baby Jessica. I remember 9/11 (wife called and woke me up), the Challenger (walking into my dorm), Reagan shot (arriving at my friend Tom's house after school, his sister yelled "The president was assassinated!"), Lennon shot (MNF), even Belushi (dad picking me up after HS soccer practice).

I know one person who remembers where he was was when he learned about Jessica. My friend Bill... because he was standing on the edge of the well. He was the first reporter on the scene.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

The only events I remember where I was when they happened were: 9/11: Walking back from class, hearing idiots singing "It's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine"; Chris Farly's death: My mom was driving me to my old elementary school to play basketball; and the Twins beating the Braves in the 1991 World Series: In my grandma's basement, charting the game on my notebook.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

23 years ago yesterday was my bar mitzvah. Oh, if you could see me in that suit ... and shoes!

7. Upper Tupper

Upper Tupper Member

I was thinking more like...

It was twenty years ago today,
    Sgt. Pepper taught the band to play
    They've been going in and out of style
    But they're guaranteed to raise a smile.
    So may I introduce to you
    The act you've known for all these years,
    Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

One of my favorite headlines by a colleague in 1995 was

SARGENT
    PEPPERS
    OTTERS

A girl basketball player, Katie Sargent, had a great game against Otter Valley, including making 2 free throws in the final seconds, for the win.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

They'd LIKE you to think there's no similarities

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Baby Jessica was at the point where CNN was starting to feel its oats a bit and had settled into a routine of 24/7 news coverage. The country was captivated by it, especially since it was a young girl and the parents were pretty young, too, both younger than 20, maybe?

11. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

the mom was 17, don't know the dad's age.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I spent that whole series at the Blue Bonnet (local watering hole) screaming at a Cards pitcher to put one in Jeffrey Leonard's earhole.

Draft saved Draft deleted