1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2 points?! 2 damn Points?!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Dec 12, 2012.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Took a box once for a team (freshman girls I think) that finished with two points. The worst part was that they had a tie for leading scorer.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Hmm ... I recall taking a 104-5 call-in once. Thing is, I had covered that winning team and girls' basketball coach. They were pretty regular participants on state championship weekend. A class act and still is. Not the sort who would make an overmatched situation worse.

OTOH, I once covered a game almost as bad years before. A 0-for girls' team against one that won a lot more than it didn't. Winning team full-court pressed for three quarters when it was obvious the 0-for team was completely done (and the game was over in the first 2-4 minutes). Not surprised ... I covered the winning team 2-3 times and the coach was pretty full of himself and not smart enough to realize that his team was getting nothing out of this for use down the road. Save it for the next couple of practices.

3. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

So if losing team is getting whipped 107-2 while playing a 2-3 press, when does losing coach realize that's not working and maybe switch it up a bit? Still probably don't beat them, but maybe you keep them under triple digits. And yes, winning team should have done something to slow the onslaught, everyone touches the ball before a shot, something.

Wwe don't have the charter schools where I am so Ihave noidea about the ins and outs of them, but it is pretty clear they should not be playing the public schools if this kind of thing happens on a regular basis, especially in non-conference or exhibition play. If you're that hard up for action, you probably would get more out of playing your JV team.

And high school girls basketball maybe the worst thing in the world to cover, especially when you have a good team up against a team that can barely dribble the ball past half court or is filled with girls that just don't give a shit and joined because their friend plays and they needed to fill out a roster. Happens far too often. Almost prefer having toe nails pulled.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

We had a 103-3 game a few years ago.

Same team is so far beyond its league competition it's ridiculous. Still, we cover the rivalry games, may not show up to some until halftime since we can also cover (gasp!) soccer that night, and, yes, we'll go to some just to see how ugly it'll be.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

If you're getting beat by 50-some at halftime, you probably already have some players in foul trouble anyway. Tell them to go out and commit intentional fouls on every single play (offense and defense). Then tell ALL your players to do it.

Nothing violent, nothing rough. Just a bear hug around the midsection.

Sure you'll get called for the intentional fouls (2 shots plus the ball) on every play. Who give a fuck? You're already down 50 and more.

Commit a couple dozen of them, foul your whole roster out, and you can get on the bus and go home.

Of course, you could have players develop mysterious "injuries," too.

6. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

This.

Draft saved Draft deleted