1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2 MSNBC.com Sports Jobs

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Diabeetus, Oct 27, 2007.

1. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Wow. What does that mean? That hurt my head.
    Want me to throw an educated guess? 80k.

2. LATimesman

LATimesman Member

Sorry I didn't meet your standards. But 80K is not a bad guess; maybe a little low. The forerunner of MSNBC (Microsoft Network, MSN) offered big stock options. But that is ancient history.

3. CNY

CNY Member

I wouldn't be too surprised by 80K for the editorial supervisor job. It would surprise me for the editor job, as it'd be a fair bit more than what Fox, ESPN, etc. pay for similar positions. I'd guess that opening probably has a fairly wide salary range depending on experience.

4. fishwrapper

Yeah, we all know what you could do with the stock options they were offering in the mid-to-late 90s.
    Here are some of the options: Notepads. Coloring books. Paper airplanes. Origami. Toilet paper.

5. LATimesman

LATimesman Member

If you got in at the beginning of MSN Network, and cashed in your stock five years later when it vested---this was before the tech bubble burst ---- you made a TON. The stock tripled.

6. fishwrapper

Yeah. Going back a little further, if I would have believed in a pack of computer jockeys from Bellevue, Wash., I wouldn't be here playing "mental joust" with you on a Thursday afternoon on a Sports Journalist website.

7. Giggity

Giggity Member

Any word on this?

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Mark McTyre of the Seattle Times took one of the positions. Not sure about the other one.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I thought the Fort Lauderdale SE took the other?

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Correct Wick. Brian White is the name if you were curious.

11. Giggity

Giggity Member

Oohhhh, they wanted somebody GOOD. That explains why I didn't get it.

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Self-esteem issues?

Draft saved Draft deleted