1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2 Live Stews

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Barsuk, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Let me add this, boots ... my initial complaint was as much about the fact that ESPN continues to put them on the air as it was with the Stews themselves. They're entitled to their opinions as much as we all are, and good on them if they're drawing a hefty paycheck from ESPN.

But I still can't understand why the WWL continues to put them on the air, for the aforementioned reasons, and I'm entitled to that opinion.

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Living in Atlanta, I've heard their show enough to hear plenty of examples where they weren't well schooled on a particular topic.

And don't get me wrong; their show can be entertaining and worth a listen. But, as GB-Hack put so well, you'd like to think that those that are given the national spotlight bring a little something extra, a little beyond the norm.

3. boots

boots New Member

They are the flavor of the month, just like Stephen A. Smith was. They're hot and ESPN is trying to capitalize on it.
    I don't have a problem with your opinion, per se. I have a problem with seeing mostly negative talk. And a lot of it is about African American broadcasters, writers, etc.
    It might not be racist but it is obvious that these people are targets on these threads.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Stephen A. Smith isn't a good example, since I remember seeing him on FSN before he moved up to ESPN. He moved up the ranks, and ESPN tried to get him his own vehicle.

It didn't work out, for a number of reasons. I thought his Sunday morning SportsCenter appearences with Bayless on "Old School/New Skool" didn't help him out at all. I liked him a lot on the networks NBA coverage, because he'd make Legler, Anthony and others back up their arguments and he'd bring a lot of good information.

Now things aren't going well in Philadelphia, but I'd expect to still see him on ESPN, and I'm hopeful about his radio show.

5. boots

boots New Member

No he's a perfect example. He got hot and they picked him up. The same with the Stews.

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

No, he built up. First with his work in Philadelphia, then with his television appearances on FSN, then being eased into the spotlight on ESPN. It hit a peak with his own show, but he's going to be a presence within ESPN's family for the forseeable future what with the radio show and the NBA.

He had a strong reputation before he got to ESPN, which is why they picked him up, not because he was the flavor of the month.

7. boots

boots New Member

GB, SAS did his work. He worked hard. But the timing was right too. He provided "a hip-hop approach" that pleased the suits. It was fresh.
    That's what they see in the Stews. A new approach that they help will attract people.

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

The timing was right because ESPN had acquired NBA television rights. I think he was hired more for his knowledge and contacts than he was for his approach.

And that's the problem with the Stews. They are mostly attitude, with little substance.

9. boots

boots New Member

But it's apparently what the people want to see and hear and tha's what counts.

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Really? I didn't realize there was a place on ESPN where you could vote as to whom you wanted to see debate with Bayless this morning. Pat Forde must have won yesterday's vote.

Networks put out things they think people want to see. Some survive because people want to see it. Others get cancelled, because people don't. The fact that they don't have the Stews on for a weekly run as they did with Chahida last week should say something.

11. boots

boots New Member

Shows me that they are testing the waters to see if they can hack it.

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Except that they've been on there pretty regularly before. They even had a really shortlived 30-minute show on ESPN2.

Draft saved Draft deleted