1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2,880 examples of why raising a daughter is not easy

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Slightly off topic:
    Covering a high school game last night.
    A girlfriend of Team A's star players used to date on of the star players of Team B (the home team).

Very early in the game, the home team's student crowd starts chanting about its star player "hitting it" and the A team star getting leftovers.
    Girlfriend, a cute little blond number, spends the second half in tears. Her parents who are at the game are angry and expect the Team A principal to do something about it.

He does talk to the home team principal, but not before pointing out to the parents that the girl should be more "selective" with her dates i.e. she shouldn't be so quick to put out.

I'm glad I have two boys. I have only two penises to worry about instead of about 2,000.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I was thinking about this the other day. I'm glad I'm old enough to remember a time when a 13-year-old girl looked like a 13-year-old girl.

3. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Yes, but remember -- the only serious problem that exists on college campuses is spending too much money on coaches and athletic facilities.

4. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

I have a daughter. She is 17. She is leaving for college in September.

I shall now go kill myself.

5. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Wow. That was out of line on the part of the principal. Again, who's accusing Player A and Player B of being too easy?

Not to say I don't like easy boys (and they should have been like that when I was in college, dammit), but it's a double standard.

6. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Paging Spaceman. Paging Spaceman.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I'm not seeing any concrete proof that these are college students. None at all.

As far as we know, these could be strippers.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Don't vote to put them in the Baseball Hall of Fame then, I guess.

9. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

If you're young and hang out in bars, you see this stuff all the time. Hell, last night, I went out drinking with some friends and at around 1 a.m. (bar closes at 2), I went to the bathroom, came out and there were four girls dancing on the bar. And this was on a Wednesday night! During my brief stint at college, I'd see this stuff all the time, so it really doesn't surprise me at all.

But you're right. Things have changed quite a bit. Girls Gone Wild is probably to blame. ... Not that I'm complaining. ::)

10. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

I've got a co-worker whose daughter is 17. A few months ago I was sitting at the bar, she comes in and starts hitting on my buddy. I've never met her, but I've seen her picture in the co-worker's office, and I keep thinking I know her from somewhere. We buy shots, and right when the bartender, a good friend of mine, brings it, it dawns on me who she is. I take the shot away and call her dad.

If it hadn't been for her dad having her picture in the office, there's no telling where this would have led. Young people -- younger than me -- see MTV, Myspace and all that other stuff, and think that's what they should be doing.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I seriously think children being fed meat and dairy products from cattle injected with growth hormones is the cause. I'd wager kids raised vegetarian or organic don't mature at the same rate.

As for the photos...

Stuff like that has been going on for years. I remember the same sort of stuff from the 80s. The difference is nobody had digital cameras or cell phone cameras to snap photos of it.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Can we sticky this thread?

Draft saved Draft deleted