1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

1991 World Series, Game 7, on now

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

MLB Network's classic games for the day are Games 6 and 7 of the 1991 World Series. Game 7 is on now, about to head to the ninth inning, and Game 6 is on a little later (Game 3 of the 1985 ALCS is on in between.
    I never saw this game when it happened because it was on a Sunday night and I had school the next day. This is great.
    Amazing how skinny these guys look, though, in the days before the steroid boom.

2. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Does the result of the game change this time?

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'll watch and let you know.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I betcha that Game 7 is high scoring.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I like the Twins' chances here...

6. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Speaking of outcomes changing, etc. The NFL network replayed the Buffalo Bills vs. Houston Oilers 1992 Wild Card playoff game. My wife walks in as they go to halftime with the Bills trailing 35-3.

I am a Bills fan, so my wife asks, 'Why are they showing that game? And why are you watching it?"

I said, "The Bills come back and win."

The look on her face was awesome.

7. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

I'll watch the 1984 World Series again if the Padres win this time.

8. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

God, what a game. I remember watching it at the time. I was living with a girlfriend who just did not get sports at all. I came to bed at like 2 a.m. trying to explain, "You can't believe this game! Jack Morris! Holy shit!" She just looked annoyed that I had disturbed her sleep. That might have been the moment I knew we had no future.

9. mb

mb Active Member

Speaking of old games, I'd like to thank the NFL Network for showing my favorite non-Broncos game of all time today:

1998 NFC Championship Game: Atlanta 30, Minnesota 27 (OT)

Watched it again and STILL don't have the slightest idea how Minnesota fucked it up. Has to be in the discussions of biggest fuckups EVAR.

10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I have an idea...

Once Minnesota got up 20-7, they just dropped it down a few notches. Never have I walked into an NFL playoff atmosphere where it was just assumed the home team would win as much as I did that day. (The '96 Packers over the Panthers in the NFC Title game was close).

But the 15-1 Vikings of '98 had steamrolled everyone at home.

Yet, up 20-7 with the ball, Randall Cunningham - all of a sudden - began to look human. The defense got a little softer. Once Gary Anderson missed the FG that would have clinched the game, putting Minnesota up 30-20, the worry filled the Metrodome. (People pin it on Anderson but - for the life of me - I'll never understand why it was okay for Robert Smith to run out of bounds all during that drive. Atlanta would have not had enough time to rally if the Vikings stayed in bounds on that drive).

I was one of two photographers from our station (along the "left" end zone if you are watching on TV) and was fortunate enough to be on the side of the two most memorable plays -- Gary Anderson's missed FG and Morten Andersen's GW OT FG. I'm right under the crossbar for both.

My son was still 4 years from entering this world at that point. Last year, the Falcons-Vikings overtime epic was on NFL Network. I was wearing a "loud shirt" just for the purpose of friends and family spotting me during the game. Always love the coach's shot for this game. "Okay...there's Denny, there's Reeves...and there's daddy in a really obnoxious shirt."

"COOL!"

:)

11. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Do we HAVE to bring up this game the morning of the NFC Championship?

You probably just jinxed the Vikings. :mad:

That said, the 91 World Series was incredible - and Jack Morris being a local guy (my brother graduated from the same high school, only several years after Morris) was just icing on the cake.

I have the 87 Series on DVD, one of these days I'll have to find the 91 Series on DVD. :)

12. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Good.

I hope the Vikings gets 41-0'd today.

As a Packer fan, I hope for nothing less.

Draft saved Draft deleted