1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

1989 World Series Earthquake

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ringer, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This didn't happen to me, but it's a good story anyway. Day after the earthquake, Dom DiMaggio called the Herald sports desk. He was worried about his mom, still alive and living in the hard hit Marina district in the City. Steve Harris, one of the three guys on our World Series coverage, was given the address and went out to check.
    That's how we got the interview with Joe DiMaggio, who was there helping Mom move stuff out of the damaged house. Once he heard Dom sent Steve, he was most gracious.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I believe most of the players, etc. were worried about their famili
    Did not remember the rumbling;

Someone above, good call about how the 'Stick survived.

3. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

That's a really cool story. Thanks for sharing.

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I thought it was tremendous as well. Being about as far away as I can possibly be in the contiguous United States, I had no recall that things were as bad as they were. I remember the one section of the Bay Bridge down and some fires, as well as Michaels and the scene at the park from TV, but I didn't know there was that much damage.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I saw the 30 for 30 and it was amazing to see the picture quality of some of the film interviews. Had to be film and not tape because it was hi-def. You can count the craters in young Mark McGwire's jaw. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted