1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

15 Strong ??

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Can any of you NBA beat types explain "15 Strong"?  I understand part about the team working together but I don't get is how the cards Reilly gave players fits into story.

said cards are on sale on EBAY. 

2. fever_dog

fever_dog Active Member

Re: 15 Stong

just a simple coach's motivational ploy. the cards had picture of players, players' family members, differerent motivators, different messages. riley would just pile 'em up, thousands of them. thousands of reasons why they could win. thousands of reasons to win. and they just turned into a rallying point for the team.

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

The team was anything but 15 strong.

4. Lion_Woods

Lion_Woods Active Member

;D

5. leo1

leo1 Active Member

what are you talking about? they'd never have won without doleac

6. Boom_70

Still not getting it - these are cards that Riles printed up and gave to the players that they tossed into a pit in locker room?

They are all over EBAY - did fans get them also ?

Seems like great underwritten story. I can't find much on it at all .

7. leo1

leo1 Active Member

boom, i think you're reading way too much into this. i don't know how the cards got on ebay (i didn't think they gave 'em out at games but maybe i'm wrong) but it's just a made up slogan. you know athletes and coaches do this kind of thing all the time.

sort of related -- did you see baseball tonight last night before the yankees game? justin morneau was interviewed and karl ravech managed to get him to talk about some of the twins' newest sayings -- i guess in the dugout when they have a rally going they talk about lighting up the barbecue which comes from a phrase like "smelling the ribeye." ribeye comes from RBI...or something like that...whatever...it's just the stuff athletes say to get motivated and make them think it's them against the world and on one else can penetrate their team because they're so close and blah blah blah.

8. Boom_70

Here is example leo:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-YELLOW-TROPHY-Miami-Heat-15-Strong-Locker-Room-Card_W0QQitemZ260011114588QQihZ016QQcategoryZ50135QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'm always fascinated by these motivational type things when they work - just wanted to learn more about.

I've always admired Riles abiltiy to get his players focused on a common goal. His philsophies as outlined in Winner Within seem very sound.

9. fever_dog

fever_dog Active Member

well, i'm guessing nobody wanted all of them because there were like 150,000 of them. yeah, the players and coaches took some, but then i think they were just so many left over someone (arena workers maybe???) took them and started giving them away. that's my best guess.

the ebay ones are supposedly real.

Draft saved Draft deleted