1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'13 money lies you should stop telling yourself by age 30'

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 10, 2013.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That's more in the psychology. I think you're being way too pessimistic.

Kind of reminds me of the guy who sued his doctor because the doctor told him he was going to die in a year, so he went and blew all his money and then didn't have anything left when he actually survived.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Like I said in the initial post, I was terrible about keeping track of my finances those first few years, making peanuts. I had several late credit card payments, some of them 90 days or more, from the end of college. I didn't have health insurance my first year of working because, well, I just didn't sign up for it. I didn't make a conscious decision not to. I just ... didn't. I maxed out one credit card after another, but was always afraid to check how much I owed. It was ugly. I was I could go back now and see how low my FICO score actually dipped, at its lowest. I wish there was a way.

Now I watch it like a hawk. I think we were over $40,000 in credit card debt at one point. That was scary, but at least I knew.

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Yeah that's a big one. I think ours was 400 for the shady minister, couple hundred for food and drink at the reception in our apartment. Free venue in Central Park.

That wasn't all about money. Neither of us wanted a big wedding, neither of us wanted to walk down an aisle to music, her family was half a world away, mine half a country, and we got married shortly after moving in together. But the money was a huge reason. On the other hand, with a small wedding, few guests, etc., we didn't rake in the cash as gifts. I know small isn't doable for many people, but like you said, it's not a requirement that you spend tens of thousands.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Normally the crappy foods cost less. I'm with IJAG on this.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

If you can tell me how long you are going to live with certainty, then yeah, I'd agree, live for today and don't think about tomorrow.

My personal feeling is. ... I prefer the insurance of knowing that I will have taken care of myself for my entire lifespan, regardless of how long I make it.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

If I thought there was no chance I'd live past 70, my reaction would probably be to try to retire by 50 instead of just giving up and committing to working every last day.

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

You have to think of it like this:

Let's say you have $100 a month "fudge factor" in your budget that can be used to do either: 1) make a 401K contribution; or 2) pay extra toward retiring your student loans. Let's further assume: 1) you're in the 15% tax bracket; 2) your student loan interest rate is 5%; 3) your company offers a dollar-for-dollar match (up to a point that, given your salary, you're not going to hit); and 4) your potential 401K investments return 0% that year.

If you go whole-hog on the 401K route, your net worth will have increased by $2,400 (your $1,200 plus your company's match). To get this increase, however, required of you $1,020, because your income tax liability will be reduced $180 by your 401K contribution. The effective return on your $1,020 investment is 135%.

If you go whole-hog on the student loan paydown, your net worth will have increased by something approaching $1,260, since you will shave an additional $5 a month in interest each month. This increase in your net worth requires $1,200 from you, so that's a 5% return on your investment.

Even if your company doesn't match, your effective return is much higher because of the reduced tax liability. Your $1,200 increase in net worth costs you only $1,020, an effective return of around 17.6%. And don't forget, this assumes that your investment has an annual return of 0%!

Finally, those low- and moderate-income contributors get additional tax credits. So your contributions reduce your income tax liability, then you get an additional tax credit.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I just read that quickly, and I may not be following. ... but aren't you missing a step? You can't just look at the 401(K) return in a vacuum that doesn't include the opportunity cost of not paying off the student loan more quickly. You need to subtract the increased loan interest he will be paying as the result of putting his money toward the 401(K) instead of paying off the student loan. ... then you have an expected return for choosing 401(K) contributions rather than loan payments.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Just don't forget to once you get close to retiring, get almost everything out of stocks and put it is something like a bond or property that you can rent. You want to be set and not worrying about a crash.

A lot of people will never be able to retire because they placed all their faith in stocks.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

You're right. On a worst-case basis, your $1,200 increase in net worth costs you $1,080 (the actual cash outflows and the opportunity cost of higher student loan interest). That's an effective return of 11.1%. If, however, you're eligible for that saver's credit, that would be higher, perhaps substantially so.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

It doesn't say that. It says $27k is the average wedding cost in the US.
    I got married two months. Planned cost of $6k. Came in at $6.5k.
    And it was a great time. We had fun and our guests had fun.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

14. Money grows on trees. Or in credit cards.

Draft saved Draft deleted