1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

13 days, 22 murders

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Based on Twitter, it appears the “protest” was a handful of guys trying to start shit with the cops at the hospital.

Naturally, the drama around that - and some reporter getting arrested - may end up equaling or surpassing the coverage of the shooting.

Liut and Azrael like this.
  2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Regarding the oddball "protest," I think that's going to get a lot of attention to determine whether or not anyone was actually chanting "we hope you die."

Which is already hardening into fact online.

Both officers out of surgery, but no real update on their condition.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

There is a video out there already from the crime scene that suggest less-than-great reactions.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Sounds like the deputies will recover.

L.A. shooting: 2 County Sheriff deputies are out of surgery after ambush in Compton - CNN

The two Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department deputies who were shot and critically injured Saturday night are out of surgery, according to a LASD spokesperson.
    "It looks like they're going to be able to recover," Sheriff Alex Villanueva said Sunday afternoon.

"We'll see what the long-term impact is. We don't know that yet, but they survived the worst," Villanueva said during a community dialogue event.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

It'll certainly occupy some media space until an arrest is made.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Separately, I think a national police crackdown on the press - if indeed there's one underway - is a story worth covering.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It is. It's multi-faceted, too. The media can be just about anyone now, especially when they're armed with a phone video.

I have no doubt she was wearing credentials. Clearly, she said she was media on the video.

Nevertheless it is hard. At night. two deputies shot, and, frankly the frequent purpose of these phone videos is to somehow get the cops in trouble. And it's absolutely starting to get in the way of law enforcement - and other things.

Just as, I think, the community at large never really authorized the police to enforce the laws to this degree - or for some of the laws enforced to even be in place - we're going to reach a point where the community at large does want the protests to be better and more clearly enforced.

10. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

There's no gray on this arrest. She was clearly wearing a credential. She identified herself. Further, she had just attended a PRESS conference about the shootings. To which the PRESS was invited.

Is it hard? Sometimes. I'm sure. But I'm also sure it's not that hard to tell when someone is actually threatening you, or breaking the peace, and someone is not.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

There’s emotional gray area all the time. The cops were wrong and, given today’s culture, will be punished. I’m guessing one or two might lose their jobs.

I can simply understand a moment after two co workers have been shot, and there’s protestors seemingly...OK with that?...and here’s a person running up on the cops with her phone, etc, etc.

It’s not right but, I get it. I fundamentally get it.

12. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Charlie Brennan of KMOX radio in St. Louis said this morning the city has had more homicide deaths in 2020 than those of COVID-19.

Brennan did not cite a source.

Draft saved Draft deleted