1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

118th US Open Walking Thread, presented by Johnnie Walker

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Poulter -1 thru 16.
    He and Scott Piercy are only guy in red figures.

Most of the favorites are +6 or better.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Wind makes hackers look like hackers too :)

I don't care how long a course is (well within reason) but wind is a killer, kills your rhythm, your comfort level over the ball. Where I play sometimes, there are 3 club winds on a 80 day and its brutal. Ever notice too that it may be 3 clubs into the wind but you never get that much back with the wind?

Its looking like +3- +5 is not too bad for today.

maumann likes this.
  3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The 69s by Poulter and Piercy are phenomenal.

maumann likes this.
  4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Tiger, nice 7 to start. Man, Willie Mays in '73 all over again? No, he's got game but Tiger's got to accept (as we all do) that he's just a middling pro before he can get better.

maumann likes this.
  5. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Fox immediately rolling out the excuses and cliches. "He needs to right the ship now." "The next 15 minutes will determine how his round will go." "There's no way to practice those kinds of shots."

Really? I never would have guessed the obvious.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I haven’t read anything yet stating that he believes anything to the contrary. Tits Dimpleson, OTOH, said he’s still a contender to win an Open the week and then fired a not-so-boner-inducing 77 today.

7. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Pic?

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Is McIlroy a middling pro? Spieth? Phil? Jason Day? Lotta bad scores out there today.
    PS: Brad Faxon's outfit is most unfortunate. It looks like he was dressed to test the color resolution of the cameras before airtime.

9. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I've realized that the PGA Tour is in many ways like a soap opera. I stopped paying attention to the sport other than the majors on a regular basis about 10 years ago. But because these guys play for 40 years, I still recognize many of them. Brian Gay! Ian Poulter! Ernie Els! Jason Dufner!

It'd be like Tommy Maddox still starting at quarterback when I turned on my TV this fall.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Dufner's hat saga is one of the more amusing things going on Tour right now. Which is good or bad, depending on how you look at it.

Phil hit 13 of 14 fairways today, which has to be an Open record for him, and he still shot 77.

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Rory is not a middling pro; but who has the better chance to win a major Rory or Tiger? IMHO its Rory by a mile.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Fox is watching its weekend ratings go down the drain with Tiger, Rory, Phil, Jordan. At the moment this leaderboard looks like the Reno-Tahoe Open.

maumann likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted