1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

112th U.S. Open at The Olympic Club

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Good piece by Shipnuck that made me want to root for Jason Duffner this week.

http://rss.golf.com/tour-and-news/jason-dufner-most-interesting-man-golf-heading-us-open?page=1

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

doctorquant: It's No. 17. The fairway.

They'll be under par at Olympic this year. Simpson was -3 in 1987 on a par 70. That's -11 at a par 72.

It's a par 71 this year, and not that hard of a course to boot.

I'll write it: The 2012 PGA is better this year than the Open. Better course. Better field. If I'm CBS, I'd tout it that way.

3. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Better course? Have you lost your mind?

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

If the USGA really wants to strike a blow for the common golfer, they should only play the Opens on public courses, like Bethpage.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Why does the common golfer give a shit where the Open is played?

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

No. Kiawah's even ranked ahead of Olympic in some polls.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Or Torrey Pines?

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Tee times are out ... and we've got Phil, Tiger and Bubba paired together for the first two rounds.

Get there early Thursday. 7:33 a.m. off the ninth tee. Yes, the ninth.

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golftalkcentral/woods-mickelson-watson-grouped-at-u.s.-open/

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

As an average (to be extremely generous) golfer, I want the national Open to be on the best possible courses. Due to the history of the sport, only some of those are public. But what does "public" mean? Pebble Beach is public, technically. In reality, it's public if you pay $700 to play and stay at a $500 plus a night hotel to do so.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

A lot of golfers I have talked to start the conversation with "You should have seen that shot I hit at Pebble Beach....". Most commoners will never get to play Augusta National, but they will pay big bucks to play the same course the pros play

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

You're not playing the same course the pros play, unless you get on the Monday after an event. Courses that host PGA Tour events or Opens or whatever couldn't keep the green speeds and rough up all year, or else no one would play in under six hours. Not to mention 99.99 percent of the public has no business playing the pro tees.

Kiawah had a thing for a week last summer where they set up the course exactly as it will be for the PGA -- same green speeds, same back tees -- and let the public take it on, with the best score of the week winning a vacation. Low score was a 78 by a scratch golfer, and that was probably a miracle for him. A lot of players didn't bother to turn in scorecards.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Oh, I get that. It's more of an ego thing to say "I played at such-and-such".

Draft saved Draft deleted