1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

112th U.S. Open at The Olympic Club

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Very true. Keep the par at 72 and there will be a lot less whining. 5-over for a winning score just doesn't look very good.

2. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

When Martin filled out his U.S. Open entry this year, he called the USGA and asked if he really had to submit all the documentation it requested concerning the use of a cart. The USGA said he could skip that part.

Does the USGA prefer that all 156 players walk? Yes. Would it do anyone any good to bring up the debate again? No.

3. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

This, plus the fact Mike Davis is now setting up Open courses. So you won't get screwy pin placements like on 18 in Round 2 during the '98 Open. See Stewart, Payne; Lehman, Tom or Triplett, Kirk for ready reference.

Mile High and I were both at Olympic for that Open. When you bring then-Exec. Director David Fay into the TV booth and feel compelled to put out a statement for the media acknowledging you screwed the pooch on that hole, well, you screwed the pooch on that hole.

Davis is a master of setting up courses that keep their teeth but aren't over-the-top. He will not disappoint at Olympic.

4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I think the Master's would admit women. But I really wish they would take Gary McCord off the black list. Not that it will happen.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

This video just capped my day.

http://www.cbssports.com/golf/blog/eye-on-golf/19261326/video-watch-a-42yearold-director-of-golf-make-a-putt-to-qualify-for-the-us-open

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

It only dropped in because the dynamite stuffed into the gopher holes exploded.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Sergio doesn't have a shot at anything where you have to make putts to win.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Vini "Mad Dog" Lopez will be there.

http://espn.go.com/golf/usopen12/story/_/id/8009603/club-pro-mark-mccormick-drummer-vini-lopez-headed-us-open-olympic-club

Max Weinberg will be too busy counting his money to attend.

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Privately, I don't think McCord or CBS would go back and do it. McCord doesn't fit in with The Masters. And I like McCord a lot.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Being bounced from Augusta was probably the best thing that ever happened to McCord's sportscasting career. He'd be nuts to go back.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Last I heard, it's in his contract that he doesn't work the Masters. I like him a lot too, but don't miss him on that. I don't think he misses it either since it wraps him up so much.

12. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted