1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

111th U.S. Open Championship

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by trifectarich, Jun 14, 2011.

1. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Prairie Dunes is good enough to hold the Open. I'm guessing the biggest obstacle there is hotel rooms.

If you want to take the Open to Atlanta but not to Atlanta Athletic Club, Peachtree C.C. is there. Canterbury Golf Club in Cleveland has some of the toughest shots you could ever ask a player to hit. There's nothing wrong with the Dubsdread Course at Cog Hill. The fact that the U.S. Open hasn't been played in Texas since the '40s is a head-scratcher.

The point is, and someone made a reference earlier, if you can overcome the infrastructure problems at Merion, there are a lot of other quality courses with fewer hurdles. From the public parking area at the Montgomery County Fairgrounds this week, spectators have a ONE-way bus ride that averages about 45 minutes. If that doesn't sour ticket-holders on the U.S. Open experience, I don't know what does.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

How bout if Adam Scott wins with ol Stevie on the bag?

3. trifectarich

I would think that would make Steve Williams the most insufferable person on the planet, which he might already be.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Tri, is there bus service to the tourney from any Metro stops? That was the (one) beauty of Olympia Fields, the train station right next to the course.

5. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

What the hell happened to Jason Sobel? A live blog would be great right now. Did he have a run-in with the suits?

EDIT: Appears that he is now employed by The Golf Channel. Doing the reverse Van Pelt, I see.

6. trifectarich

I did see a notation concerning Metro service as I was researching transportation options. If I remember correctly, the nearest Metro stop then required a shuttle to the golf course, and I'm guessing that's a far shorter trip.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Yes, from the Red Line in the Rockville/Bethesda area. It's probably a 10-15 minute bus ride from there, depending on traffic and lights. But a really easy shot.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Thank God Stephanie Abrams is wearing the red dress on The Weather Channel. It gave me something else to watch. It's way too early for fat ass Berman's big fuckin' mouth.

9. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Cool note from the tourney - Mike "Fluff" Cowan, Furyk's caddy, is a member at Congressional.
    Berman tried to think of something witty to say, wiffed, then said he's from Maine.
    Berman sucks. I want something bad to happen to him - not that he dies, but so he can't be on TV anymore.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The same tired crap every year. Waiting for Roger "Chocolate" Maltbie to arrive. It'll be Happy Hour when they return at 5 p.m. Asshat who shouldn't be near a microphone, muchless as the lead on the U.S. Open.

11. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

He absolutely ruins the viewing experience.
    Let Tirico and Van Pelt handle things and I'd be OK.

12. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

I like Scott's chances. Actually, I'd like to see him win.

Draft saved Draft deleted