1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

110th U.S. Open running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Jun 12, 2010.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Starts Thursday, at probably the best location for the national championship. And in prime time for the East Coast papers, if it gets in at all. 11 p.m. EDT ending on Saturday, just like two years ago at perhaps the best Open of all time, Torrey Pines.

Phil is close to home and probably will contend and somehow find a way to blow it. Tiger is out of his game. Otherwise, wide open on a great track.

Probably no rain delays, but perhaps for fog like in 2000. Predictions?

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Re: 110th U.S. Open open running thread

I will be covering the '11 Open at Congressional. I can't freaking wait.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I covered the 2001 Open at Southern Hills. That was the one Goosen led wire to wire and snapped Tiger's Slam.

If Woods is going to snap out of it, Pebble's the place to do it.

4. MileHigh

Only been to one open: 1998 at Olympic. It's a great experience. Glad it's going back there in 2012.

5. smsu_scribe

smsu_scribe Guest

Cannot wait. Pretty much every Open held at Pebble Beach has catered to the stars and produced some memorable performances. Watson's chip-in. Jack's 1-iron. Tiger winning by 15.

I don't think Mickelson has ever been more of a favorite going into a major than he is going into this one. And I've gotta think the U.S. Open is the major Phil wants the most these days.

6. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I think it's pretty comparable to '06 as far as Mickelson being a pretty heavy favorite. Remember, before that one, he'd one two straight majors and was generally considered the best player in the world, as Tiger struggled after his dad's death. Very similar to this year as far as their respective games. Mickelson won the Masters that year as Tiger couldn't quite match his firepower. And it really looked like Mickelson was the best right up to No. 18 on Sunday of that Open. Then that disaster and Tiger won the final two majors of the year and Mickelson didn't win again until this year.

7. smsu_scribe

smsu_scribe Guest

Good point. I always forget that Mickelson was THAT close to winning his third straight.

8. MileHigh

Johnny Miller live on NBC, in one of the greatest, at-the-moment quotes in sports TV history: "You don't have to run down the last stretch on a white stallion, you know, you could limp in there and say, 'Thanks for the trophy.'"

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Great course. So many great memories from past tournaments.

Am tempted to pick Lee Westwood, but it's been 40 years since a European won the US Open. Adam Scott, who won last month in Texas, is my darkhorse.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Pebble Beach is one of the rare experiences on earth where the hype doesn't live up to the reality.

11. CR19

CR19 Member

Pebble Beach and the U.S. Open are a great pair. When can a player worry about slicing his ball into the Pacific Ocean? There have been so many great moments from the past Opens held there. The weather looks great for golf, with the sun blazing and temps in the low 60's. Can't wait to watch it on TV, and I'm sure the guys covering it appreciate the decent weather.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Wind is always a factor at Pebble Beach and can change on short notice.

Draft saved Draft deleted