1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

110-yard FG?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, Jun 27, 2008.

1. markvid

markvid Guest

Fake or no?
    http://www.news10.net/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=43833&catid=2

2. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Without watching the video, probably.

3. markvid

markvid Guest

Well, watch it and decide.
    I'm honestly not sure what to think after seeing it.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I see the same sort of thing in the way the ball's moving there as there was in the LeBron James Powerade commercial. It seems to carry in a slightly ghostlike fashion midway through the flight.

I'm saying fake. If he could do this, off a tee, he would put one in the stands on a kickoff at a regular season game next year.

5. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Agreed with GBH. The ball looks weird flying through the air.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

It's probably like the ballgirl video ... a fake.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Kryptonopolis High School start practice already?

An NFL kicker could kick a 110-yard FG if he had a 50-mph tailwind (in HS, I could normally make kicks from 40 yards, fooling around one day practicing in a storm with 45-mph tailwinds, I made one from 55 with plenty to spare), but the video looks like a nice sunny day with little or no tailwind, so I doubt this dude is just nonchalantly booming off 110-yarders just for fun. ::)

8. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Even off a tee, is that humanly possible?

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Why do people continually believe these things?

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I think there's something about things like this that make people think 'wow, what if it is real?'

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Fake, obviously. I might could believe someone could kick a ball 80 or 90 yards -- a kickoff that goes through the end zone goes about that far -- but that's with a running start and a followthrough that almost knocks the kicker down.
    Watch his kick. There's almost no followthrough. It almost looks like he's pooching it. I think it's either straight-out photo trickery like the Powerade commercials, or an old-fashioned optical illusion. Don't a lot of practice facilities have adjacent fields? He might be kicking from one to the other, going 50 or 60 yards.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Ehhhhhh, the kickoff line is now at the 30 (making it 70 to the goal line) and you see some kickers put it out of the end zone now and then, so it obviously is possible for NFL kickers to kick the ball 80-85 yards in the air.

As I posted above, if you had literally gale-force tail winds, that conceivably could get you 25 more yards, so it is theoretically possible for a human being to do it. But not on a nice sunny apparently windless day.

Draft saved Draft deleted